Scott 700 or 900 series?

I am looking at buying a new bike the use for trail and single track. What would work better? The 29er or 27.5/650b? I am about 1.7m tall

Check the standover height of the bikes with the front wheel on a 6 inch block so you emulate a steep hill restart.

Then you decide.....

I am 1.67 and ride a 29er Spark - but hill restarts are problematic - otherwise it's a great bike,. except that it only takes a 500ml bottle inside the frame on the size small - somehow I think they fixed that on the 650B version, but it's worth checking.

I would be inclined to look at a 27.5 due to your height. Even myself at 182 I feel I might be more comfortable at times on a 27.5 .Don't get sucked into the gimic of 29 must be better **** ,rather buy according to your body size imo.

I would be inclined to look at a 27.5 due to your height. Even myself at 182 I feel I might be more comfortable at times on a 27.5 .Don't get sucked into the gimic of 29 must be better **** ,rather buy according to your body size imo.

I think the 650B is a better compromise on bike fit, centre of gravity and resulting handling.

Even though the 29ers have some good stand over numbers, those numbers are measured at a low point on the top tube and typically at a point just ahead of the saddle where the designer thinks you will mostly likely be positioned for stand over. This is true when sizing the bike on the shop floor but does not hold true for out on the trail comfort.

If you're concerend with standover height and have your hart set on a 29 then the Cannondale Scalpel has about the lowest stand over height of all the 29'ers, a whole inch lower than the Scott 900 range in the size small.

If I had to buy a new bike today it would be a 650

Edited by GoLefty!!