Mountain bike events in South Africa centralised website

Brendan Vogt

I like the clean look and feel, slap in a few profiles, maps, maybe a bit about the host town and it'll be world class.

Yes I am going to do all of this in due course. I am doing the website in my spare time. I will try and get some decent software that I can implement so show route profiles.

If you haven't already done so please like on Facebook or follow on Twitter to stay updated on changes. I will need constant feedback from everyone.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to you mate. Brilliant idea good luck. Route profiles and a rating system of "tough,technical" eg 1 star for beginners to 5 stars experienced only etc etc

Good idea. I also want to have a rating system for an event and venue where riders can rate after the race how well water points were, route marshalls, etc etc. I did an MTB race in the beginning of the season and I took about3 wrong turns because either the marshall was sleeping or the route wasn't clearly marked.

If you haven't already done so please like on Facebook or follow on Twitter to stay updated on changes. I will need constant feedback from everyone.

Agree with this. Also, what would help is previous finishing times...with maybe an average estimated finishing time over the various distances. For me, this helps with planning nutrition for a race.

Great idea!

I will try my best. Can you maybe elaborate a bit more for me please or send a private message?

Wishlist item. Search by distance from event.

eg. I am in ( neighbourhood, town/ google maps click here ) all races within 100km.

The Reason: If you stay in Gauteng you have 4 provinces within 100km from you, 5 if you include Gauteng.

Good idea. Will build this in in due time.

how different is it going to be to alltheevents webpage?

http://www.alltheeve...ai1ec_post_ids=

It will be different. Read my post again and you will see what I plan to do.

i also like the idea.

but the proof will be in the pudding.

you will just need to make 100% sure you have correct info regarding the event, and to keep your info up to date when the organisers make changes to the event.

it will beat the objective if we are using your site, but then need to double check the info on another site. (for starting times etc).

i like the previous year's winning times idea mentioned above.

you could also take it one step further and link one or two persons strava/endomondo/sportstracker tracking of the race to the event page - this might give riders additional info regarding the routes the following year.

but dont know if anyone will want to see this - but i would find it very interesting.

Yes I agree the proof will be in the pudding. It will be a challenge to keep things updated but I will find a way to stay in sync with the event organisers.

I appreciate your feedback.

i will surely use, provided it is kept simple, no chats (we got the hub for that).

Yes my idea is to keep it as simple as possible and down to the point.

It's a great idea and I wish you well. And will be a visitor.

But just remember, many-a-web-site was started with good intention but the admin quickly becomes such an overhead that it falls into disrepair before a year is out. Especially a site like this that really requires a huge amount of updating.

But keep at it and within a year or two the traffic to the (well maintained) site will generate the revenue I hope you'll see.

Good luck.

PS. Don't fall into the trap of trying to add every feature your average (& infinitely better web-admin) hubber will try and impose on you. Keep it simple but accurate and it'll be a success.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I want to try and keep it simple and down to the point. Lots of hard work yes but if what you do is a passion then it won't be such a mission. I love MTB and I love web development.

So it would almost be like a http://www.tripadvisor.co.za/ ..... MTBadvisor :clap:

So all the big events, Stage races, PPA, CSA, plus small local events .... I think it's great

Thanks. MTB Advisor is a very good name :thumbup:

I like the uncluttered design and the idea is great BUT and this from personal experience running a website it's all about CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT ...... So as long as has been mentioned already you are prepared to put in lots of time and effort to keep it updated it will be successful and I will use it!

Thanks. I like things simple and down to the point. I am spending lots of time with the design. I want it to be user friendly on the desktop and mobile phone. Lots of hard work yes, but I love website development (I'm not a design and layout fundi) and MTB.

My 2c with being down a similar passion project path that we've gotten gatvol of and abandoned.

- You must be REALLY passionate about or it will become a job/drag/mission very quickly and as has been said you'll stop working on the site.

- Getting buy-inn from the industry is NB so they provide constant, up to date info and you don't have to go look for it and people know it's correct so they come to your site and no double checking is needed as has been said. Also get brands to feature so they can advertise etc. This ties-inn with my next point.

- Having a monitisation strategy is NB! Don't leave this for later or it will lead to point 1. You need buy in from cycling brands etc. to advertise so you can atleast cover the hosting costs etc., which will start adding up very quickly if the site works and is popular. Otherwise you get to a point where you've got it all in place but the passion is now costing you money as it did us, which quickly turns things sour.

Hope this helps.

Please send me a private message with your email address? Would like to hear more about your personal experiences with the website etc.

Why stop at mtb? Cycling in general would be great. Perhaps include triathlons. Getting this kind of info for the other events is also painful so your site could be a gem.

• 4 weeks later...

Why stop at mtb? Cycling in general would be great. Perhaps include triathlons. Getting this kind of info for the other events is also painful so your site could be a gem.

You got me thinking so I changed to www.race-calendar.co.za. Will first start to focus on MTB and then gradually move over to other sports.

Edited by bioluminescence

Hi all (women as well),

I am embarking on a personal website called Race Calendar. I will be targeting multiple types of events like MTB, road cycling, trail running, road running, swimming etc. I want to start with MTB. There are so many MTB events across South Africa and they each have their own website. The reason why I started this website is because I want to have a centralised website/database where you can view all of these events across the country.

I want to display event information in a neat and readable way instead of having race details all over the place that are not consistent. I also want to display accommodation in and around the event. I always struggle to find accommodation when travelling to far away races and it would be easier if I could find accommodation close the event instead of having to go and view multiple accommodation websites.. I also want to display things to do in and around the venue for those that are going to sleep over and don't want to sit and watch TV. I want to have detailed route information and profiles. User comments after the race which can be forwarded to the event organisers. Pics of the race, Youtube videos of the routes, directions to the race, weather etc etc.

The site has been optimised to use the latest internet technologies. It is also optimsed for mobile devices because most people are all day on their phones.

It's just a personal project and website. There might be similar sites but like I said it's a personal project that I am doing in my spare time and for my own enjoyment.

If you have any ideas it would be appreciated. What would you like to see about an event before entering? Do you guys think something like this will work?

The site is very bare at the moment, I put on content as soon as when I have time.

Go to www.race-calendar.co.za to see what I am trying to do and achieve.

I have a Facebook page and Twitter account registered. If you want to please follow me on Facebook or/and Twitter. I will starting posting as soon as when I have some more content. Maybe share the site with your other MTB buddies and adventure seeking buddies. Help spread the word.

I would appreciate your feedback. I am getting a lot of hits coming from The Hub SA but no one is liking. I can understand it is probably because there isn't much information on yet. Please follow and I will notify you guys on changes. The website is dedicated to all mountain bikers, INCLUDING women.

Thanks

Brendan

but there's nothing in the site?