110mm Alu FS or 100mm Carbon FS - which bike best for SA?

Flatwhite

Hi Guys,

Moving back to SA from the UK at the end of the year and looking at buying a new FS before I come back.. Its been 7 years since I had done a mtb race in SA...

Currently looking at the following two bikes 110mm Alu vs 100mm Carbon Canyons.. Not necessarily need advice on the brand but more the type of bike suited for SA...

https://www.canyon.c...ike.html?b=3235

https://www.canyon.c...ike.html?b=3185

- Looking for a good for multiday stage bike - specifically for races such as W2W, Epic, and others in the Western Cape area..

- Would not class myself as a Top 100 Epic finisher - but have (can) finish the Argus in sub 3 ( Sorry bringing road cycling in but my only point of reference).

So at the same price point looking at a good spec heavier (12.1kg) Alu bike vs lower spec lighter (11.25kg) carbon version.

850g is not much agreed - though the geometry and travel is different.. Is a 100mm travel bike more than sufficient - or would that extra 10mm and slacker geometry be good to have... Appreciate there would possibly not be many Canyons around - but for example is the Spez Camber more popular than the Spez Epic at such races?

Appreciate some advice as to which bike would theoretically be better for South Africa?

Many thanks

This question has many answers from many different people.... but... if you're going to be doing stage racing and won't be messing around on technical stuff, you'll probably be better off with a 100mm bike. Most local stage races don't include anything technical enough to make a slack-angled longer-travel bike necessary.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

Agreed with Martin - the stage races don't make the longer travel necessary, but I separate from his advice here and go for the one with the slacker head angle, purely for the sake of flexibility. Also - the 110mm bike will be that much more versatile than a 100mm XC focused machine.

That's what I'd do, really, if I had to choose between the 2 you're looking at.

But what I'd do, personally, is go for a 120-140mm trail bike, which will be able to handle pretty much whatever you can throw at it. Something like the Cube Stereo 140, for example. It will be able to handle multi day events with ease, and be arguably more comfortable than the 100mm version due to the slacker HA and more travel. Suspension and shock platforms being what they are nowadays, the extra travel in the rear compared to the ones you're considering doesn't really make a difference when climbing - you can still flick it in to climb mode, and climb like a goat if you have the legs for that sort of stuff. PLus on the downs and technical stuff, you'll be far more well equipped than the guys on their 100mm race machines...

My 2 shillings worth...

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Looks like the second option has slighly better specs, but the first one would be probably be better for stage racing.

Cpt armpies - I currently have Cube Stereo 140mm (26er though).. I was gonna sell it - thinking there would not be places suitable to ride it in the Cape... Clearly not.. Excuse the ignorance...

Where do you recommend riding in the Cape where more travel would be useful?

Thanks

Cpt armpies - I currently have Cube Stereo 140mm (26er though).. I was gonna sell it - thinking there would not be places suitable to ride it in the Cape... Clearly not.. Excuse the ignorance...

Where do you recommend riding in the Cape where more travel would be useful?

Thanks

OOOOH!!! No - don't sell it!

Tokai, Jonkershoek, Steilte Trails, garden route trail park, Contermanskloof, Majik Forest, G Spot and a few places in Tygerberg trails.

In short - everywhere. The Cape is spoilt when it comes to trails, and it's only going to get better with people like Mark Gordon and other fantastic trail builders around here...

To use your example, I went for the Epic over the Camber, with a similar focus to you. I wanted something more suited towards 50km+ with ability to handle intermediate terrain. My epic handles everything I through at it.

I would also prefer the carbon frame with a view to upgrading components over time. Upgrading wheels here, tires there and bits and pieces in between keeps me loving my bike.

Tough choice, both look like good bikes. Head angle is the same on both, but the AL one has quite a short TT length, on the medium size at least. For longer races I'd want the lighter bike and the components on the carbon have room for upgrades to make it even lighter. I don't think you will really notice 10mm extra travel that much. I also prefer the Rockshox components on the carbon, so my choice would that one.