Morewood Zama

Jester6

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not the Zama can be converted to 650B?

Not looking to start a wheel size debate or anything like that, just wondering if it can be done and if it would work well enough and not overly compromise anything? ?

Itchy I see. I totally understand. My new bike is sans wheels at present hanging in the garage. Actually most of the groupset is still sitting in a box at present too so its not going anywhere. But the new rims are in the mail. Dying to just get on the thing. Still a hardtail but in a totally different league to what I currently ride.

Looked into the 650b thing. Some stuff to watch out for. Older frames only accept 1/8 inch straight steerers. There are no 650b forks currently available with that standard. They all use the new tappered steerers. With that in mind if the headtube is compatible you may be able to install a special headset that allows a tapered steerer in a non tapered headtube but you'll need to do the research.

Also full sus is more questionable than hardtail when it comes to 650b since while the wheels might fit statically when you compress the rear suspension all the way you end up with the tyre rubbing the frame. This is something that there's a lot of discussion around so if someone has tested the frame you're looking at you might get an answer otherwise you need to get a frame in person and collapse the shock by releasing all the air pressure or removing the coil.

And finally what everyone is about to say. You are going to struggle to get a decent beefy tyre in due to reduced clearance. All mountain and enduro bikes like broad high volume tyres in the 2.2-2.4 range. Running 650b rims in a 26er frame usually means loosing volume in the tyres ie running like 2.1s or something. And this of course means less rubber on the road so that larger contact patch means basically nill (at best you've changed its shape but it still the same area). Of course freeride and enduro frames have more clearance for bigger tyres inherently so you may still get a reasonable tyre in but this is the risk of conversion.

If I were looking now I'd probably just look for a 650b frame not because I think they're better (they're a side step in my opinion, the bike industry tapping into something that forces everyone to buy a shiny new bike either out of fear, ignorance or pride) but because no one will sell me 26er rims of forks anymore. Its bloody annoying. I'm a live and let live kind of guy and it irritates me that the big bike industry players have declared the premature extension of a wheel size that works just fine for me and one that I'm fairly invested in.

Riders didn't turn 650b into a political debate Giant, Trek, Pinkbike and others did.

Just for the record. I've not bought forks or rims in the past. This experience is based on my current bike build. I'm not an old hand. But I've even phoned distributors and they tell me straight that they have no intentions of bringing in aftermarket 26er products. They've decided its the end of the line. Fortunately 26 aint dead overseas.

why take a perfectly good 26'er and screw it just because jiimy said so?ride the bike.be happy smile have fun...

Haha I'm not aiming to mess it up or anything, I'm looking at building one up and am just a bit worried about getting 26'er rims, tyres etc. locally

Itchy I see. I totally understand. My new bike is sans wheels at present hanging in the garage. Actually most of the groupset is still sitting in a box at present too so its not going anywhere. But the new rims are in the mail. Dying to just get on the thing. Still a hardtail but in a totally different league to what I currently ride.

Looked into the 650b thing. Some stuff to watch out for. Older frames only accept 1/8 inch straight steerers. There are no 650b forks currently available with that standard. They all use the new tappered steerers. With that in mind if the headtube is compatible you may be able to install a special headset that allows a tapered steerer in a non tapered headtube but you'll need to do the research.

Also full sus is more questionable than hardtail when it comes to 650b since while the wheels might fit statically when you compress the rear suspension all the way you end up with the tyre rubbing the frame. This is something that there's a lot of discussion around so if someone has tested the frame you're looking at you might get an answer otherwise you need to get a frame in person and collapse the shock by releasing all the air pressure or removing the coil.

And finally what everyone is about to say. You are going to struggle to get a decent beefy tyre in due to reduced clearance. All mountain and enduro bikes like broad high volume tyres in the 2.2-2.4 range. Running 650b rims in a 26er frame usually means loosing volume in the tyres ie running like 2.1s or something. And this of course means less rubber on the road so that larger contact patch means basically nill (at best you've changed its shape but it still the same area). Of course freeride and enduro frames have more clearance for bigger tyres inherently so you may still get a reasonable tyre in but this is the risk of conversion.

If I were looking now I'd probably just look for a 650b frame not because I think they're better (they're a side step in my opinion, the bike industry tapping into something that forces everyone to buy a shiny new bike either out of fear, ignorance or pride) but because no one will sell me 26er rims of forks anymore. Its bloody annoying. I'm a live and let live kind of guy and it irritates me that the big bike industry players have declared the premature extension of a wheel size that works just fine for me and one that I'm fairly invested in.

Riders didn't turn 650b into a political debate Giant, Trek, Pinkbike and others did.

Yeah just a bit itchy :)

A lot of that does worry me, I've had a look around for 650B frames I can buy new locally and just get the frame and they seem to ne few and far between, or incredibly expensive, I'd much rather use whatever I get as intended, but yes I'm worried in a few months I won't be able to get 26'er anything for it.. I have nothing against the wheelsize at all..

that perfectly rideable bikes can't be used due to components etc.

sure im also worried about component avail,my next bike only due in a year or two,hate to say it but will be 27...

Edited by eye i

same can be said about forced feeding.

but yes i'll leave it there, grow a beard and start making food with fire...

Edited by eye i