2015 Giant Reign 2 availability?

Brawler

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So got my bike back and had a quick test ride this morning. Super happy so far.

Upgrades over stock: 

Rock Razor rear tyre

Hope 32t narrowwide (for 1x10)

Hope 40t extender

XT crank

XT shifter

XT brakes

First of all I am no gram counter but when I first picked up the bike I could immediately feel the bike was lighter. Not exactly sure how much but it is noticeable. Secondly I could also feel the bike wasn't slowing down so much on the inclines as it was with the Hans Dampf (aka handbrake). 1x10 is also really cool, so clean and I found myself changing gears a lot less. XT shifter is also miles better, each click is so much more 'direct' and you can feel everything through the lever. The the oid deore one didnt miss a beat but lacked feel, as if its internals were made out of cheese.Oh yes I also trimmed the bar from 800 to about 780 as it was just far to wide.

Some pics:

post-10402-0-15431700-1425114086_thumb.jpg

post-10402-0-58331900-1425114094_thumb.jpg

post-10402-0-77509800-1425114099_thumb.jpg

Quite happy with the xt crank and I got it for an absolute steal. Hope crank would have cost 4x as much.

I forgot to mention the brakes (probably as they are the smallest of the upgrades). XT have same stopping power but seem to have an earlier grab and better modulation where as the Deore were either "on or off". The on the fly adjustablity is nice to. Probably not the most necessary of upgrades but again the bike shop helped me out by trading in the old ones so was worth it.

Edited by Brawler

........ upgrades but again the bike shop helped me out by trading in the old ones so was worth it.

Eish ... you are a lucky one.

My LBS only said ..... "Unfortunately the new parts removed cannot be refunded by the supplier, however we can re-sell the goods on your behalf if this helps you."

I wanted to change to a ZEE, got a quote for R3850 (without rotors), what is quite high anyway. :unsure:

There is no trade in, or any bargaining on the bike it self.

I don't know, but it seems .... i just ordered my bike in the wrong shop. Should have asked for your LBS first..

What is my own fault!

I know :blush:

Edited by NicNacDH

• 2 weeks later...

So got my bike back and had a quick test ride this morning. Super happy so far.

Upgrades over stock: 

Rock Razor rear tyre

Hope 32t narrowwide (for 1x10)

Hope 40t extender

XT crank

XT shifter

XT brakes

First of all I am no gram counter but when I first picked up the bike I could immediately feel the bike was lighter. Not exactly sure how much but it is noticeable. Secondly I could also feel the bike wasn't slowing down so much on the inclines as it was with the Hans Dampf (aka handbrake). 1x10 is also really cool, so clean and I found myself changing gears a lot less. XT shifter is also miles better, each click is so much more 'direct' and you can feel everything through the lever. The the oid deore one didnt miss a beat but lacked feel, as if its internals were made out of cheese.Oh yes I also trimmed the bar from 800 to about 780 as it was just far to wide.

Some pics:

That is looking really nice. Definitely so much cleaner now with the 1x10 setup. I reckon I will definitely go that route when I am able to get back on the bike.

That is looking really nice. Definitely so much cleaner now with the 1x10 setup. I reckon I will definitely go that route when I am able to get back on the bike.

Yeah man still very happy. Don't bother with the brakes though as the XT really not much better than the Deore.

I have done quite a bit more riding and still haven't had to stop on any hills even with the 1x10. Do feel a bit more burn in the legs but so far so good.

How long until you are back on the bike?

Yeah man still very happy. Don't bother with the brakes though as the XT really not much better than the Deore.

I have done quite a bit more riding and still haven't had to stop on any hills even with the 1x10. Do feel a bit more burn in the legs but so far so good.

How long until you are back on the bike?

Personally I find that I can get the same power out of Deore, SLX and XT. I just feel that as you step up each level it requires less force to get the power. Less force on the lever = less arm pump :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Im trying to make up my mind, I currently have a specialized epic 29 and am going to be getting rid of it to get a more trail oriented bike. I test rode a standard 2015 trance this past weekend and really enjoyed how fun the bike was and the extra travel. I found it climbed very well also which was great, I actually found it climbed easier than my epic does.

I haven't been able to test ride the 2015 reign 2 yet as I am trying to decide between the 2015 trance and the 2015 reign 2 but without test riding the reign I am a litte unsure if I should go for it or the trance. I mostly ride the Tygerburg trails and ride there from Parklands, so am looking for something that will get me to the trails as well. I am not bothered about speed when climbing, but would like to be able to get up the hills without issues.

How do you guys find the reign 2 for climbing and have any of you ridden both the standard trance and the reign 2?

Any and all input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reign doesn't climb nearly as well as the trance does. Slacker head tube angle and longer wheelbase. Also a bit heavier. Reign is more downhill/enduro orientated, the trance is a pure trail bike.

Edited by DanielJhb

In the reviews, it's been tagged as a bike that climbs well *for what it is* - that means that it climbs well for a singletrack munching machine, and will probably climb pretty well when making use of the ProPedal adjustment on the shock. 

Saying that, though, the only way to tell is to speak to someone who has tested both and can comment. If your bias is towards more DH style / Enduro / All Mountain, then I'd suggest the Reign over the trance. If you favour more trail type riding and look at your climbing ability as a concern, rather than a "meh, I only climb to get to the top" mentality, then I'd suggest the Trance, but with a beefier fork (really don't like that 32 on there)

Dude, coming from an Epic 29, the Reign will feel like a buss with its brakes locked. I love mine, but its a downhill oriented bike that will get you to the top of the trail. The Trance is the right one for you

Hey man, I have the Reign and have ridden the Trance. 

As others have said the Trance is a better climber and more suited for longer distance while the Reign is better for the downhill / jumping etc.

That said I have no problem getting my Reign up to the top of Jonkers without stopping and that is something that I could never do on my Stumpjumper... Perhaps I am fitter now but still I don't have any issues climbing but I wouldn't want to race a guy up hill. I have a Rock Razor tyre on my Reign as well as a few other upgrades (1x10) so it has lost a few pounds and I am happy as a pig in mud :D

So yeah what kind of riding do you want to do? Jumping and bombing downhill = Reign. Climbing and singletrack = Trance. Both can do all but better at one or the other.

The other factor is price. I think the Reign is the bargain of the century as out of the box it is extremely capable AM bike. The Trance 2 is more trail orientated, sure it can be upgraded to an awesome AM rig but then you would have spent 50k....

Trance 2 25k

Pike 12k

AM wheels 8k

Dropper 3k

etc...

Reign has all that (albeit not quite as high spec) at R33k. The Trance is also very well priced as a trail bike but if you upgrade it to #Enduro spec then its no longer cheap at all.

You are welcome to test mine out if you like. Its a large.

Edited by Brawler

Hey guys, 

Thanks for the feedback. I generally ride trails but am looking at getting more into enduro/all mountain riding. Don't ride XC or race at all, so it's all about the fun and games side really.

I have been leaning towards to the Reign due to its price and spec, as Brawler mentioned, I could take a trance and build it up, but then am looking at spending more than the Reign would be stock which I would be more than happy with as it has all that I would want.

Tough decision. Thanks for the offer to test ride but I'm a small and think a large would be too big to get a good feel for it.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I generally ride trails but am looking at getting more into enduro/all mountain riding. Don't ride XC or race at all, so it's all about the fun and games side really.

I have been leaning towards to the Reign due to its price and spec, as Brawler mentioned, I could take a trance and build it up, but then am looking at spending more than the Reign would be stock which I would be more than happy with as it has all that I would want.

Tough decision. Thanks for the offer to test ride but I'm a small and think a large would be too big to get a good feel for it.

Well then the reign is your best bet!