Blouberg / Table View to Newlands / Rondebosch

GuyOnBike

Out of curiosity -

Are there any routes or people commuting from Blouberg / Table View to Newlands / Rondebosch?

What are the options?

Edited by GuyOnBike

Hope you are going to do it very early am and late afternoon as peak hour traffic is hectic

Not sure if I'll do it at all - first checking what routes are avail.

Damn that quite a commute...makes my little 6.7km look so pathetic

Well, I used to do it to Cape Town CBD which was about 18km's. With a car my route now is 24kms...

Did I mention it is on a MTB..?

Edited by GuyOnBike

Out of curiosity -

Are there any routes or people commuting from Blouberg / Table View to Newlands / Rondebosch?

What are the options?

I did it every now and again (from Bigbay to RondeboschWetton). But it is quite a distance and if the wind is blowing you will be cursing!

I now live in Milnerton and will try doing it again with the warmer weather.

My route was cyclepath to PaardenEiland, then through Paardeneiland on cyclepath, then to Woodstock MyCiti, and get on to Lower Church. Then left on to Albert Road. This is the most dangerous section, so be careful. Then get onto Blackriver Parkway at the circle. This will take you into Rondebosch with some sections of cyclepath inbetween.

MTB is the way to go.. easier to get onto and down curbs. And the road is a bit dirty at times.

Looks like that's the route...about 26km?

What is the route out once in Cape Town? I've never cycled from there to Rondebosch.

I have done a commute route quite often. 18.2 kms each way.

Royal Ascot along cycle lane to Woodstock up the Lower Church pedestrian bridge at MyCiti stop, and right down to Albert Street and turn left to Salt River circle. From there   you can go up to main road or you can go through Obs along lower main or over to Black River parkway. Main rd is quite busy so can be on the dangerous side but it is a pretty straight route. Make sure you are very visible.

Option for a bit of fun and excitement is to go up through Table Mountain to Rhodes Mem and back down along Princess Anne. I have only done this from Rondebosch side once so not sure of the route to take, was hoping to find some single track (down) along the way but only found the up section near the small resevoir or dam and then mostly jeep track. Would need to check out a nice route for that part now that light is better on either side of the work day.

Edited by eelvio

What makes it dangerous, cars?

Cars, taxis, buses, pedestrians. Most of the traffic is going in the opposite direction into town though.

It's manageable, but just be careful.

What is the route out once in Cape Town? I've never cycled from there to Rondebosch.

But are you travelling from Table View or Blouberg as there's a bit of a difference in total km's?

But are you travelling from Table View or Blouberg as there's a bit of a difference in total km's?

Table View. I'm not so worried about the km's - more the practicality and general safety of commuting this way.

Alternative is a gym :(

Table View. I'm not so worried about the km's - more the practicality and general safety of commuting this way.

Alternative is a gym :(

Hmmm could get a bit dodge around the Salt River/Woodstock area if too late/early