Help identify an old Cadex CFR

GrantR-PTA

Just a word of caution.

It's still a lugged carbon frame ( notice the head tube and seat tube). Please be aware that older frames like these have been known to loosen at the epoxy bonds on the lugs. Get an expert in your area to give the frame a going over.

Just a word of caution.

It's still a lugged carbon frame ( notice the head tube and seat tube). Please be aware that older frames like these have been known to loosen at the epoxy bonds on the lugs. Get an expert in your area to give the frame a going over.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. If it is loose is it fixable or scrap yard time? Don't mind spending a few rand to fix it up. Was my grandfathers, then my father used it as a spare bike for a while. Thought it would be fun and nostalgic if i rode it a few time and them my 10 year son can play around with it when he is big enough to fit on it. Then we can claim its a 4th generation bike :).

Looks like a CFR1 to me. I had a CFR2 in '94 which was blue. Mine was kitted out with Campy. Did a 3:12 Argus the following year when we still ended in Camps Bay. The CFR2 had alu lugs and carbon tubes. It might be that yours was the same justa different groupset build. I'm sure your model would have come with Ultegra as it was higher placed than mine. As others have said you should keep it if you gonna ride it. Decent bike to start out with.

Here's an old Cadex (think it was a CFR2) that I modded.

Basically put a lightweight fairing around the head tube area and smoothed in all the lugs, then a new paintjob. The black areas are visible carbon under clear, with McLaren-type dayglo orange/red. Finished off with a new 105 groupset.

It was a really light and strong bike that was quick enough, and nice up the hills. Sold it much later for a decent profit too.

post-10549-0-85926700-1412611990_thumb.jpg

Here's an old Cadex (think it was a CFR2) that I modded.

Basically put a lightweight fairing around the head tube area and smoothed in all the lugs, then a new paintjob. The black areas are visible carbon under clear, with McLaren-type dayglo orange/red. Finished off with a new 105 groupset.

It was a really light and strong bike that was quick enough, and nice up the hills. Sold it much later for a decent profit too.

Wow. Very nice work. I picked up the CFR1 from my brothers and dropped it off at the bike shop for a basic service. Will take it from there....

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on your ride Grant?

Hi, 

Spend R1000 on having a general service, replaced cables, bar tape, new tube, BB repaired. Haven't had time to ride it yet - prefer my MTB :).

Regards

Grant

post-54286-0-38353600-1413795493_thumb.jpg

Nice one. Don't worry, I also prefer the mountain bike. Road riding is almost suicide these days!

Pity those shifters don't match

Archived