The Cradle Loop: Lane Markers destroyed

ByronH

Hi All

I'm a MTBer, but time to time, I ride the Cradle Loop on my Road Bike.

I can't help but notice that each time I ride, less of the Lane Markers are still standing. Many of them have been ridden over, destroyed, uprooted etc. I feel that this has turned the cycling lane into more of an Emergency, Truck and Taxi Lane.

One of the major advantages of the Cradle Loop is the perception of safety due to the Cycling Lane. I know that there have been very few, if any reports, of cycling-motor vehicle accidents on the loop still, but is it perhaps just a matter of time? I have recently been reading about a lot of road cycling accidents by careless, speeding drivers.

Does anyone on the Forum know who I can appeal to to please once again do some good work on the loop? I assume its someone from the Local Municipality? I feel the lane needs to be repainted, more cat-eyes layed down, a greater number of stand-up reflective markers installed, and maybe even a rumble strip at the intersection of the vehicle and cycling lane?

I dont know if a "rumble strip" it a good idea, because going over those with a road bike will be quite dangerous at high speeds. Yes, the cyclists should not be going into the car lane I guess, but to past other cyclist it is needed most of the time.

Those markers are a dangerous pain in the butt, I'm glad most of them are gone.

Whoever thought of putting them there was an idiot, they have caused several bike accidents.

Those markers are a dangerous pain in the butt, I'm glad most of them are gone.

Whoever thought of putting them there was an idiot, they have caused several bike accidents.

So then what makes the "Cycling Lane" more than an emergency lane then? be rest assured, the two or three Cycling signs and the dotted yellow mean nothing to drivers.

And we all don't want vehicles intruding on our "Cycling Lane", but its fine to intrude on the motor lane? I feel the two need to be clearly separated, and yes, it may a little inconvenient to cyclist and motorists alike, but its a 'Cycling Lane' for a reason, and its for safety's sake.

So then what makes the "Cycling Lane" more than an emergency lane then? be rest assured, the two or three Cycling signs and the dotted yellow mean nothing to drivers.

And we all don't want vehicles intruding on our "Cycling Lane", but its fine to intrude on the motor lane? I feel the two need to be clearly separated, and yes, it may a little inconvenient to cyclist and motorists alike, but its a 'Cycling Lane' for a reason, and its for safety's sake.

I hear you, but this isn't Europe or Australia ~ it's SA. There are no rules, and that is not going to change, now or in the future. That is the reality of it.

A cone, or strip, or whatever, will not stop drivers drifting into the lane while smsing, or deliberately driving in the lane for that matter. A solid barrier will never be installed, so we can forget about that.

The markers were dangerous for cyclists. They should never have been put there. 

Archived