First DJ Bike Advice

Bra B

Sup guys

Looking at buying my first dj bike. Been looking at the following bikes:

Atomlab Trailking and Beddo Tabu.

Components on both bikes are pretty much Atomlab Pimp and Pimplite.

Any advice?

Thanks

B

• 2 weeks later...

Both of those seem like pretty sweet bikes, and atomlab rims are nice, havent ridden them myself. Are you importing from overseas?

Are you keen on buying complete or do a part by part custom build?

What's your budget?  Remember that if you are importing - import tax and shipping makes quite a substantial  difference to the price you see on the web.

Are you set on new or would second hand do?

If you want a complete bike by this weekend for example, then a complete makes sense - you pay one time and get a rideable bike from the get go. 

I personally would'nt go this route, I prefer picking parts for my jump machine part by part, it costs the same, maybe 15% more, but I'm not stuck with a couple of parts that I wouldn't use if they were given to me.  And if you take a couple of weeks in keeping your eyes open, you could build one helluva bike with parts from The Hub's classifieds - and only bring in a frame and one or two other parts that you can't find here - and save big bucks in the process.

Both of those seem like pretty sweet bikes, and atomlab rims are nice, havent ridden them myself. Are you importing from overseas?

I rode an Atomlab for a while - excellent frames, compact and bulletproof.  Their bars I had problems with - bending 2 in a couple of weeks, but that was a couple of years ago - thinwall steel bars, not a good idea...

I tried that route also . Had to get a bike before the juma race . I just phoned around and found a shop or two that had jump bikes in stock. Picked up a mongoose ritual with crank brother 50/50 pedals brand new at 6500. The pedals alone where 900 bucks . You just need to shop around there are a few new bikes in shops floating around.

Are you keen on buying complete or do a part by part custom build?

What's your budget?  Remember that if you are importing - import tax and shipping makes quite a substantial  difference to the price you see on the web.

Are you set on new or would second hand do?

If you want a complete bike by this weekend for example, then a complete makes sense - you pay one time and get a rideable bike from the get go. 

I personally would'nt go this route, I prefer picking parts for my jump machine part by part, it costs the same, maybe 15% more, but I'm not stuck with a couple of parts that I wouldn't use if they were given to me.  And if you take a couple of weeks in keeping your eyes open, you could build one helluva bike with parts from The Hub's classifieds - and only bring in a frame and one or two other parts that you can't find here - and save big bucks in the process.

Agree, building custom bike the most fun and sometimes cheapest, here is link to thread when I built mine, got Dartmoor frame from Dialdbikes, Wheels (halo combat) from CRC and the BMX type parts from BMX direct. Whole setup worked out at around R7k, but had fork and few other things in garage

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/130538-looking-for-trial-bike-or-frame/

post-28006-0-05893800-1399563495.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Was going to import but then found a guy locally that can build me either the Atomlab or Beddo complete for 6k. The components seem decent enough not to not have to upgrade anytime soon.

Remember full bikes bought overseas are expensive to ship and taxed to the moon but if you buy in parts you get free shipping and lower taxes.

Still though, building a custom NS or Blackmarket is going to cost probably 25k with todays prices. Mine was close to that a few years ago. Frame 6k, fork 8k etc.

If I was buying now I would just get a specialized p3. Saw one the other day and it was super rad and was only about 15k.

http://www.bikesngps.de/img/specialized-p3_70-b.jpg

If you look 2nd hand you can get a great deal too. The bikes have likely taken a beating but they can take it all day long.

Archived