Help with 1x10 conversion

Paul Hunter

Just converted my Shimano XT's to 1x10.  Used a Chromag 32 tooth on the front and a E-thirteen 42 tooth on the back.  Stole a 16tooth from an old road casette.  Will take it for a test ride tomorrow if if I can.  Gears seemed to set up easy peasy with no need to change the B screw although it was provided.

post-3502-0-62469300-1418227924_thumb.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm doing mine this weekend, changing a SRAM triple front to a FRM 34T and also a FRM 42T at the back with a wolf tooth 16T.

Also have a X0 rear long cage type 2, hopefully no problems.

Had my first ride. It is really awesome, clean cockpit. 

Never needed the 42 at the back but I think I will at some of the parks like Hero. Not on the Spruit even up Delta.

The bike is so quiet without a FD you hear the tyres doing their thing!

• 1 month later...

Is your Chain long enough? SRAM deraileurs don't really like the 42 tooth.. 

I have a question about chain length on a 1x10 setup.

I'm running a 34t with 11-42 cassette, an XT long cage RD (no clutch) and a standard HG-X 10 speed chain (XT). I've noticed that when I'm in the lowest 11t gear, the cage arm is still half extended. Is the chain too short? Is the RD being stretched or damaged by this?

On my previous 3x10 setup, I used to store my bike on 22x11 and the arm would be almost fully retracted. This is the position of the arm in either 13t or 15t (can't remember exactly which 1).

post-16445-0-69071400-1421754361_thumb.jpg

Had my first ride. It is really awesome, clean cockpit. 

Never needed the 42 at the back but I think I will at some of the parks like Hero. Not on the Spruit even up Delta.

The bike is so quiet without a FD you hear the tyres doing their thing!

Keen to see how much gear searching I do going up Concrete Strips on this setup :P

Keen to see how much gear searching I do going up Concrete Strips on this setup :P

If you are relatively strong/fit you should not have any issues up Concrete Strips. I replaced my shift cable last week and never test rode the bike, it was only halfway through the red route at Heia I noticed that I could not shift up to 36 at the back, so I ended up doing the entire red route with 34t front and 32t at the back as my easiest gear. :blink:  I don't consider myself as strong or fit in any way, but I managed without to much swearing, crying and threatening to sell my bike on the spot for R1. 

I am getting my Kalbo 40t this week though... :clap:

If you are relatively strong/fit you should not have any issues up Concrete Strips. I replaced my shift cable last week and never test rode the bike, it was only halfway through the red route at Heia I noticed that I could not shift up to 36 at the back, so I ended up doing the entire red route with 34t front and 32t at the back as my easiest gear. :blink:  I don't consider myself as strong or fit in any way, but I managed without to much swearing, crying and threatening to sell my bike on the spot for R1. 

I am getting my Kalbo 40t this week though... :clap:

Yeah, the 42t is more of a "Just in case" - only for emergencies.  Was at Heia on Sunday, if I'd known I might have offered R50!

Bastards, bastards all of you!

Ordered my OneUp 32T and 42T at the end of November (20% off), and it still hasn't arrived. Little did I know that free international delivery meant using the SA post office. My bad.

Ordered my OneUp 32T and 42T at the end of November (20% off), and it still hasn't arrived. Little did I know that free international delivery meant using the SA post office. My bad.

Ouch! :(

Yeah, the 42t is more of a "Just in case" - only for emergencies.  Was at Heia on Sunday, if I'd known I might have offered R50!

hahaha! I would probably have given R49 change...

Hey guys just letting you all know that we have released our 94BCD SRAM XO  Narrow Wide chainrings in December.

We will be releasing the Cassette Extenders in February, we are just running the prototype to make sure stress levels are correct.

If you need help with setting up a 1x conversion have a look at our FAQ Page for all answers http://www.kitted.co.za/Articles.asp?ID=254 

Happy riding guys!!!

Hey guys just letting you all know that we have released our 94BCD SRAM XO  Narrow Wide chainrings in December.

We will be releasing the Cassette Extenders in February, we are just running the prototype to make sure stress levels are correct.

If you need help with setting up a 1x conversion have a look at our FAQ Page for all answers http://www.kitted.co.za/Articles.asp?ID=254 

Happy riding guys!!!

Awesome. My 32T from you guys is working perfectly! :thumbup:

It's quite simple Darren: kitted.co.za :)

I have a question about chain length on a 1x10 setup.

I'm running a 34t with 11-42 cassette, an XT long cage RD (no clutch) and a standard HG-X 10 speed chain (XT). I've noticed that when I'm in the lowest 11t gear, the cage arm is still half extended. Is the chain too short? Is the RD being stretched or damaged by this?

On my previous 3x10 setup, I used to store my bike on 22x11 and the arm would be almost fully retracted. This is the position of the arm in either 13t or 15t (can't remember exactly which 1).

attachicon.gifrd-1x10.jpg

*bump* Longer chain recommended ?

Archived