100mm fork on Pyga OneTen29???

Lone_Ranger

Looking at secondhand Reba or Fox.

From some research on the interweb it appears that some Reba's can be spaced to 120mm. How do I know if the Reba I'm looking at can be spaced?

I have been running a Reba RLT Ti Dual Air on my PYGA since I built the bike (a while ago now). This fork can be spaced from 100mm - 120mm - 140mm. I've run it at 120mm and 140mm, currently on 140mm for more aggressive trail riding.

To answer your original question - you can definately run the frame with a 100mm fork. As you've mentioned though, it will make it a more aggressive XC/ marathon type of ride though - seems a disservice to a PYGA...  ^_^ . I would hold out, save, and get a 120mm fork. I liked the Reba in that it could run 120mm or 140mm depending on the ride/ race I'm doing.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the same boat have a 120 mm but looking for a 140mm for my 29er.

That's what I'm doing saving for the Pike.

Yea I'm going 140mm and with the 51mm offset more suited to the 29ers now.

Was thinking of a revelation but for the extra 3k or so the Pike blows it out of the water.

Hijack much...  :ph34r:  :whistling:

I have been running a Reba RLT Ti Dual Air on my PYGA since I built the bike (a while ago now). This fork can be spaced from 100mm - 120mm - 140mm. I've run it at 120mm and 140mm, currently on 140mm for more aggressive trail riding.

To answer your original question - you can definately run the frame with a 100mm fork. As you've mentioned though, it will make it a more aggressive XC/ marathon type of ride though - seems a disservice to a PYGA...  ^_^ . I would hold out, save, and get a 120mm fork. I liked the Reba in that it could run 120mm or 140mm depending on the ride/ race I'm doing.

Any idea which Reba models can be spaced like you describe?

A discussion thread on another mtb forum indicated that only pre 2012 Reba models can be adjusted. The post 2012 units evidently require different damper units to adjust the travel.

Another question, is it only the Reba's which can be adjusted like this, or can the SID's also be adjusted? The latest Reba's seem to have the same internals as the SID's, so it would make sense that they're either both adjustable or neither of them are.

Deal with it!

Not really pot and kettle - I'm offering advice based on a Reba I am running as per the OP's query.

Anyway, I was poking fun. But, I'll deal with it. Since you edited the post  ;) .

Any idea which Reba models can be spaced like you describe?

A discussion thread on another mtb forum indicated that only pre 2012 Reba models can be adjusted. The post 2012 units evidently require different damper units to adjust the travel.

Another question, is it only the Reba's which can be adjusted like this, or can the SID's also be adjusted? The latest Reba's seem to have the same internals as the SID's, so it would make sense that they're either both adjustable or neither of them are.

I think you're correct re the 2012 and prior Reba models and spacing. Got mine new when I built my PYGA around that time. SIDs can be adjusted but I believe they fall into a similar category as the Reba's in that only certain models can be. I know on the SIDs and Reba's there's usually a reference to the travel along with the pressure settings - this gives an idea of what travel settings it can be set to.

Btw..had my 2013 SID solo air 100mm at agents inquiring about extending travel to 120mm for my Tallboy. It was explained that the solo air forks require a new air cartridge if you want to extend travel. Easier with dual air if stanchions are long enough...i am certain this applies to sid and reba.

Not really pot and kettle - I'm offering advice based on a Reba I am running as per the OP's query.

Anyway, I was poking fun. But, I'll deal with it. Since you edited the post  ;) .

No harm intended,my bad,I was not meant to be D$@S I'm just trying to see what guys are doing with their setups as I'm also looking at Forks at the moment and its a lot of money to spend and then to realize you cocked up with you decision.

Hi

I have a 100mm fox on my Pyga 110 and the difference in head angle IMHO is minimal compared to the recommended 110mm at least not enough for me to notice.

I guess it does depend on the type of riding one does, I couldn't see the justification in spend for a few extra mm, also bear in mind when the Pyga 110/29 was initially built there were very few forks > than 100mm and only recently has the pikes (140mm +) become the flavor of the moment.

So to answer ur question I would say yes u can use a 100mm fork.

No harm intended,my bad,I was not meant to be D$@S I'm just trying to see what guys are doing with their setups as I'm also looking at Forks at the moment and its a lot of money to spend and then to realize you cocked up with you decision.

No harm intended either, was honestly just having a laugh. Benefit of these forums is to jump in on someone else's question to learn too.

Reba is a great option.

X Fusion's are also great - as you mentioned, I'm not sure re backup. It must be catered for if they're offering the product here though. Speak to Hairy - he was/ is running one I think.

Otherwise a Revelation.

All good value for money IMO.

Btw..had my 2013 SID solo air 100mm at agents inquiring about extending travel to 120mm for my Tallboy. It was explained that the solo air forks require a new air cartridge if you want to extend travel. Easier with dual air if stanchions are long enough...i am certain this applies to sid and reba.

This is what I read on another forum as well. Good to see it applies to both SID and Reba.

Anybody know if Fox forks' travel can be adjusted?

No harm intended either, was honestly just having a laugh. Benefit of these forums is to jump in on someone else's question to learn too.

Reba is a great option.

X Fusion's are also great - as you mentioned, I'm not sure re backup. It must be catered for if they're offering the product here though. Speak to Hairy - he was/ is running one I think.

Otherwise a Revelation.

All good value for money IMO.

Revelation more in price reach at the moment but suppose if you want to do it right is wait and save and get the Pike. What are you thoughts on the Fox 34 does not seem to get much love.

Hi

I have a 100mm fox on my Pyga 110 and the difference in head angle IMHO is minimal compared to the recommended 110mm at least not enough for me to notice.

I guess it does depend on the type of riding one does, I couldn't see the justification in spend for a few extra mm, also bear in mind when the Pyga 110/29 was initially built there were very few forks > than 100mm and only recently has the pikes (140mm +) become the flavor of the moment.

So to answer ur question I would say yes u can use a 100mm fork.

The 110 is intended for use with a 120 -140mm. Not a 110mm fork.

I disagree with your statement that there weren't any 100mm > forks...??? I built up one of the first PYGA 110's - had NO issue finding a 120mm fork, nor did Pat when he built up the proto's we rode for a few months prior to the first frame batch being available.

It didn't take the Pike to get chaps to realise the benefits of a 140mm fork on this frame - Pat has been recommending it since the frames were launched. Guys running Reba's and Rev's at 140mm without a hassle (myself included).

But, yes, run a 100mm fork - why not...

Seeing that we're (sort of) on the topic, I have a 120mm Revelation RCT3 I'm looking to sell. Very good condition. Perfect fork for a Pyga OneTen...

Revelation more in price reach at the moment but suppose if you want to do it right is wait and save and get the Pike. What are you thoughts on the Fox 34 does not seem to get much love.

I don't like Fox. Enough said  :ph34r: .

Any RS will be great on the bike.

PS: I keep up (sometimes am even quicker) with my mates running Pikes on my little ol' Reba  :clap:  :w00t: . And I don't have a hole in my pocket...

Seeing that we're (sort of) on the topic, I have a 120mm Revelation RCT3 I'm looking to sell. Very good condition. Perfect fork for a Pyga OneTen...

OP - problem solved.  :thumbup:

Archived