Looking for a starter bike

bertusras

I would start off with a descend pair of flat pedals, just to get used to all.

If you comfortable, change back to the 520. 

Keep the flat pedals and if you explore completely new grounds, or just wanted to push a trail to your limits, put them on and after you feel safe, go with the cleats again and you find that it gives you more control over your bike, but you conquered it saver and more confident with flats first.

Just my opinion, someone else ... may does it different.

PS: Let the LBS change the brakes to the other side.

I didn't understand your post on 31/01/2015, I don't understand your post on 14/02/2015 :P

Anyhow.

Yeah I think I'm going to buy flats, it's just impossible to find them. Went to four bike shops today and only found shin scarring devices. And online I've not had much luck either. I just want to walk in to a shop, grab a pair, and go home, is it that much to ask?

Sheesh, talk about service. Should have placed my order over the weekend. Made my payment just after 3pm today, half past three I get a shipping notification. Unfortunately they didn't have black, I'll live with that until I finally make up my mind on which pedals to use.

Let's hope FastWay plays the game now.

Okay so it's more like SlowWay :( 

Went to my LBS today to sort out the rest of my kit, card machines not working :(

I just want to riiiiide!

i'd ride flats.  not due to the fear of falling when clipped in (you are going to fall anyway when you switch over to cleats, whether you were riding flats or not)

the main reason is to feel what the bike does beneath you.  riding with flats improves the positioning of yourself on the bike greatly, especially when riding drop-offs or jumps.  if you are genuinely not interested in technical riding go for cleats, but if you think that you would at some stage like to ride some awesome stuff, go for the flats.  and while you have them on, get somebody to learn you how to bunnyhop with flats.  that is a very useful skill!

Yeah I went with the cookie pedals as NicNac advised above. They'll do fine for now, it was just a bloody mission to get the existing pedals off, man those things were on tight. Also got the rest of my kit this afternoon, so I think a pedal is on the cards tomorrow morning! Had a quick squizz through the complex this arvie, there are some things I'd want to change on the bike ergonomics wise, and I really need to switch the brakes around. Also, rear brake is feeling pretty soft, is it just a fluid topup and bleed process? Can't be too different from my motorcycles.

........... Also, rear brake is feeling pretty soft, is it just a fluid topup and bleed process? Can't be too different from my motorcycles.

You can not "really" compare your motorcycle brakes, with the mountain bike ones. :blush:

The rear brake are pretty useless to stop you in full speed .... the front brake will !!

Just push your bike forward and brake with rear and it still slides. Push the front and it will stop!!

That said ... the rear brake still helps cornering. :whistling:

You have the Shimano 446 or 556 Brakes?

If you pump it a bit, is it getting better?

If you turn your bike up side down and back ... does the brake feel different?

Than it need bleeding.

I hope no one will tear me apart for my technical explanation. :ph34r:

It's the same concept though isn't it? You've got a master cylinder with a piston, that pushes hydraulic fluid through a hose to a piston in a caliper, which squeezes the brake pads.

As for the use, same thing, all the power is in the front. Rear brake is mostly used to correct geometry on the engine powered two wheels.

It's M615's actually. Pumping doesn't make a difference, will try the upside down trick. I also just realised that it might need travel adjustment, will look at that in the morning.

It's the same concept though isn't it? You've got a master cylinder with a piston, that pushes hydraulic fluid through a hose to a piston in a caliper, which squeezes the brake pads.

Yes, it is.

Well today I learned two valuable lessons

1) Why cyclists cycle on the road and not the sidewalk

2) Always keep your eyes ahead

This damn lowhanging branch ambushed me as I was busy adjusting my computer this morning. Panic braked, over the bars. Gashes everywhere. Fun! But I picked it up and cycled on, until my wrist started throbbing. Ugh, so you learn!

So .... you can not blame the brake for not working :whistling:

You are maybe better off @ Northern Farm, Heia Safari or where ever else you like to go .... but on a more secure location, as you seem to ride alone.

Hope your wrist is getting better soon. :thumbup:

Haha the brakes definitely work  :thumbdown:

Those two spots you mentioned are a bit far out for me. But yeah, I'll mostly be riding alone, have a couple of friends I'll join once I've gotten a bit fitter and better. 

There are a couple of places around where I stay (Wolwespruit, Groenkloof, Rietvlei, and I hear something is coming in Moreleta too), so I will sporadically check them out. For now I just need a quick cycle every day after work to get fit again.

Archived