Zero to 94.7 in three and a half hours. Advice needed.

iamgigglz

I realise 3.5 hours is a stretch but it's just that: A stretch goal. I'd still be delighted with 4 hours.

Going back through this thread I've seen a number of guys who have done it in under 3.5. Admittedly not on the new course and one was on a road bike, but it's not impossible.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realise 3.5 hours is a stretch but it's just that: A stretch goal. I'd still be delighted with 4 hours.

Going back through this thread I've seen a number of guys who have done it in under 3.5. Admittedly not on the new course and one was on a road bike, but it's not impossible.

It's possible.

Just remember a road bike is much faster (I am about 20 minutes slower on my MTB over a 100 km race) and you will need a decent start group so factor in a few seeding races.

Three and a half hours on a road bike is pretty easy I think. I think that would translate into about 4 hours on an mtb. Not sure.

I did loads of road races on a mtb before I thought stuff this and bought my first road bike. It's still loads of fun on a mtb. It's not like a mtb is harder. It's just slower. Lots of granny gears on a mtb to help with the hills. First time on a road bike the gearing is a real shock.

Anyway that was a detour. What I wanted to say is it sounds like you are working quite hard. Lots of efforts on hills and so on. Personally I think that's a mistake. I would be doing distance at no particular pace. Just watching the time. Aiming for rides of 3 to 4 hours. Any speed. Do at least two of those a week. Keep the hr down using easy gears and flat courses. Do that for about 6 weeks. Remember to throw in easy weeks every now and again. Once you have that under the belt start working on harder efforts.

Good luck. Enjoy

I would be doing distance at no particular pace. Just watching the time. Aiming for rides of 3 to 4 hours. Any speed. 

I hear you. I need to start simulating the time of the 94.7.

My rides are generally 2~3 hours at the moment but I'm only managing to get them in once a week.

My other issue is my rump. My 3 hour ride two weeks ago gave a seriously sore backside. I'm not sure if it's just lack of tits or if it's something to do with the saddle but I'll see how I go.

You could chase after saddle comfort by spending money on a new saddle. Get a fit that measure the width of your sit bones and buy an appropriate saddle. Problem with that is even the best saddle with the perfect fit will hurt when you first start spending more time in the saddle. On the other hand a poor saddle will always hurt.

Archived