[Event] Robertson Winery Wacky Wine Weekend MTB 2015

Robertson Winery MTB

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arrived in good time, nice parking spot, PERFECT weather, then BAM!!! Mechanical even before the race started. Dropper post shot, and being hydraulic can't even gyppo it to stay up. Gutted! That's why you don't buy a new bike the day before a race. ????????????

At least I got to see freakonaleash's Fatty. Nice ride, hope you enjoy the race while I sip on Cappuccinos ????

Awesome route marking. What a nice race. Took it easy on the 30km today. Some mud here and there. Good balance between gravel roads and single track and mean downhills. Realy enjoyed my ride this morning.

Mud was fine, but the last 20km , 3 different distances at one single track at the same time? They couldve start the different distances at 15min intervals. So the shorter distances would be at the finish when the longer ones arrived at the singeltracks

Managed to get the dropper post fixed in time to join the 10km. Even on that short distance there were places which caused a lot of fun.

Got into second place then took a wrong turnoff followed by two lads. Turned around to the route when one of the lads fell and broke his chain. Question: stop and help him fix his chain or race back to try and regain my place?

He had no tools or link with him, which meant he had to walk back.

Decided then to help him, fixed his chain with a quick link and accompany him back to the end. I thought that I never intended to do the 10km and would therefore not really deserve a podium place. Felt really good and I never regretted stopping.

Point is not whether I did a good thing, but how easy the decision turned out to be to "give up" the race.

What would you have done?

Managed to get the dropper post fixed in time to join the 10km. Even on that short distance there were places which caused a lot of fun.

Got into second place then took a wrong turnoff followed by two lads. Turned around to the route when one of the lads fell and broke his chain. Question: stop and help him fix his chain or race back to try and regain my place?

Decided then to help him, fixed his chain with a quick link and accompany him back to the end. I thought that I never intended to do the 10km and would therefore not really deserve a podium place. Felt really good and I never regretted stopping.

Point is not whether I did a good thing, but how easy the decision turned out to be to "give up" the race.

Good on you. Pay it forward ☺

I only got 1000 my climb on the 70

Me too, almost seems like a sick joke, cos it felt like I was just climbing the whole flipping time lol!

Me too, almost seems like a sick joke, cos it felt like I was just climbing the whole flipping time lol!

I approached the first 30 km very slowly and then had plenty in the tank for the climbs. Didn't help much as I was slow as hell overall

Great that you got your thingy thing working and even greater to go and enjoy the 10 km ride. But the greatest thing you did was helping that kid.

Like you said, its not about the podium. Helping that kid will stay with him for ever and words you spoke while helping him will be inbranded in his head for ever. No good deed goes unnoticed

Louis

What a weekend! I can tell you, our team is exhausted! Thanks to everyone who made this event such a lekker place to be this weekend. The attitude of everyone on the routes and the happy faces at the finish line made it all worth it.We really enjoy the vibe that you guys bring to our town, loved it!

Please also use this forum to send me suggestions for next year. It's our first event at the new venue with new routes, so there is bound to be improvements to be made.

Archived