Frame Alignment

g4mb1t

When washing my bike the other day i noticed that my rear wheel does not sit centrally in my frame. In the area around the BB when looking down on the frame the distance from frame to wheel is +-3mm on left and +- 8mm on the right.

What could have caused this? Should i be concerned?

First check that your wheel is dished properly and seated correctly in the frame (dishing is correct when the rim sits over the midpoint of the hub, measured from the axle lock nuts).  If you can't get hold of a dishing tool or wheel truing stand try the following.  Attach a cable tie to one of the seat stays.  Cut the tie and rotate and position it on the stay so that the cut end of the tie just touches the rim on the braking surface or there abouts.  Rotate the wheel to see that it just touches the rim on most of the circumference.  (This also gives a good indication of how true the wheel is).  Then, being careful not to move the tie, remove the wheel and re insert it the wrong way around.  If the wheel is dished right there should not be a gap between the tie and the rim, or the tie should not bend when touching the rim.  Assuming that the dishing  is right you can then check the frame for alignment.  Take a long string and wrap it around the frame eg through the dropouts, around the steerer and back etc.  The string should be equidistant on either side when measured to the corresponding points on the frame.

Archived