Where to MTB: Cape Town and Stellenbosch?

ByronH

I would recommend that you include the optional "blue" single track section when you do the red route, as well as the yellow loop which has awesome single track as well - these  sections will add about 45 minutes to your ride, but is well worth it.  

If you have the legs as  well as time, why don't you do all the options?  Red, blue, yellow and green - around 55 km and 20 km of single track. Will take you about 4 hours if you are reasonably fit and have good climbing legs. 

I second what dirtman has suggested: start with red at Radish, after the Welgelegen climb turn off on the blue ST and downnn the hill to join red again, then turn off on yellow to do the Fish Eagle ST around the dams, continue with yellow to join up with red again, then do the jeep track climb and red ST around the hill, do the extra red loop down into the valley and up the other side (ST mostly), then continue with red ST through pine forest (Ribbok trail), join up with green route and do the Rooikat ST and lastly the Mongoose ST. Afterwards you continue with green (up the Kaapzicht Killer), and find your way back on the orange route to Radish.

Byron if you like I can join you. Im a member of Bottelary Hills. Depends on when you want to ride. We're planning to do a group ride on Bottelary but havent decided on a date as yet. Maybe we can fit it in while youre here. Let me know when you want to go

Byron if you like I can join you. Im a member of Bottelary Hills. Depends on when you want to ride. We're planning to do a group ride on Bottelary but havent decided on a date as yet. Maybe we can fit it in while youre here. Let me know when you want to go

Very kind. Ill do the ride on 3 May between 12:00 and 15:00, so would be nice to meet others there if they're available.

What are the ave speeds for Bottelary generally? For an oke who's relatively fit.

Very kind. Ill do the ride on 3 May between 12:00 and 15:00, so would be nice to meet others there if they're available.

What are the ave speeds for Bottelary generally? For an oke who's relatively fit.

Difficult to say Byron. Im doin between 13 and 16kmph ave. I dont consider myself to be super fit but as long as I enjoy the ride, then Im more than happy. Let me know if you want me to go.

Difficult to say Byron. Im doin between 13 and 16kmph ave. I dont consider myself to be super fit but as long as I enjoy the ride, then Im more than happy. Let me know if you want me to go.

I second what dirtman has suggested: start with red at Radish, after the Welgelegen climb turn off on the blue ST and downnn the hill to join red again, then turn off on yellow to do the Fish Eagle ST around the dams, continue with yellow to join up with red again, then do the jeep track climb and red ST around the hill, do the extra red loop down into the valley and up the other side (ST mostly), then continue with red ST through pine forest (Ribbok trail), join up with green route and do the Rooikat ST and lastly the Mongoose ST. Afterwards you continue with green (up the Kaapzicht Killer), and find your way back on the orange route to Radish.

That sounds great. Is that 55km in total? Keen to try it. Is the Ribbok trail the only pine forest?

How safe do you reckon it is to ride alone?  Looking to do a 4 hour ride this Saturday and I think this is one of a few trail networks that can accomodate that.

Safe. Do it often. Cellphone reception all over as well. There are now 2 taps that are designated to refill your bottles if you need to as well.

Ok that sounds good! I'm much the same. Will let you know a bit closer to the time if I'm absolutely confirmed. Looking forward to Bottelary.

That sounds great. Is that 55km in total? Keen to try it. Is the Ribbok trail the only pine forest?

I don't know the exact distance because I do not measure distance, only time. The route I described keeps me busy for 5 hours, but I'm sure it could be done in 4 or maybe even a little less. However, there are such great views that it is worth it to sometimes stop for a while (and also to catch one's breath after the climb). Ribbok trail is the piece of ST specifically running through the pine forest. As you will have seen from my description there are several other bits of ST, most of them running through protected indigenous renosterveld.

Archived