FSA Gossamer chainrings

Veebee

Hi All.

Just need some advice please on compact vs standard rings.

I have a Merida Reacto 400 equippped with a FSA Gosamer crank 52/36 & Shimano 105 5800 11Spd and 11-28 casette and have have been looking at changing to a compact 50/34 until I am lighter and stronger for the hills.

Would changing to the compact make it much easier on the hills vs my current set up ? And if so, where in SA can I find FSA chainrings and what can I expect to pay for a set?

Thanks in advance, cheers

You have a mid compact crank. You can just change the chain rings to 50 34 but if I was you I would keep the 52 36 unless you weight like 110kg.

Just change the cassette at the back.

I'm 110kgs and my road setup was 53/39 and 11-28 cassette. I now run a 50/34 and 11-25. Did the change to compact to save weight and it worked financially better for me.

Haven't felt a massive difference in the granny gear, but these combinations get me up most hills.

My advice - don't change the ratios. Making them easier than what you have will make you lazier. Work on hill repeats and take on big hills every ride you can. You'll soon be fine uphill and you'll feel stronger quicker.

I'm currently on 101kg, 4kg down in the month and working hard on weight loss.

Zatek, what cassette would you recommend?

Drago, been doing a decent amount of hill training, about 2000m a week but still not where I would like to be, but guess there's no easy way out.

Drago, been doing a decent amount of hill training, about 2000m a week but still not where I would like to be, but guess there's no easy way out.

As the saying goes - it never gets easier, you just get faster. Keep up that kinda workrate and you'll shed the weight quick enough to drop down to tougher ratios. Save your cash and ride more:)

As the saying goes - it never gets easier, you just get faster. Keep up that kinda workrate and you'll shed the weight quick enough to drop down to tougher ratios. Save your cash and ride more:)

Then leave it like it is, you will get stronger.

I weighed 110 when I pushing 53/39 and 11/25. I got strong quickly!

Archived