WHERE'S JOHAN BORNMANN!!??

Veloce

Yep' date=' GT junior 1600 with a 2 litre motor in now. There is nothing more beautiful than 2 sidedraught webers with trumpets feeding a twin cam motor!!!!![/quote']

A thing of beauty indeed!  Know a chap who has just started restoring one.  He is a Alfa nut, and previously turned one of the worst GTVs I had ever seen into a fantastic car.  The GT Junior he has started on now, was his dad's first car, which he bought new, but then as time went on ultimately went into storage, and fell into disrepair.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 1974 or 5 Datsun SSS . Still not sure if I should restore it to it's former glory or put roll-cage and diff-lock .

The SSS is such a nice project!  I love the old school looks, and have to admit that it will be very difficult choice for me to have to decide wether to keep it original, or really have some fun.

As they were used for racing purposes, you will not really be destroying the car with a cage, as long as you stick to period correct racecar mods.  You can really do a lot to the engine though, and I hope Ritchey Jute is on your vendors list for some cams, balancing, knife-edging and boat-tailing!

OK, so I guess I need to prove my status as fellow car nut then!

Here's some pictures of my baby (or bottomless pit?):

It started as a nice solid '70 911t, in need of some TLC, so I stripped her of her old paint so as to freshen her up a bit...

20080425_021117_Started.JPG

I then discovered some "minor" rust...

20080425_021615_Rust.jpg

...which I repaired spending more money than I wish to discuss....

20080425_021852_Rust_being_repa.jpg

...after which she looked a bit better! (not bad for a garage job I think!)

20080425_022023_Nice_glossy_pai.jpg

I then realised that "while you are in there" (which is an old German curse which empties your pockets of money!), you may as well restore the suspension, fit some clubracer Bilsteins, an nice anti-roll setup, and polyurethane bushings.

20080425_022221_Bling.JPG

And of course, once you have reached what you think is the bottom of this seemingly bottomless pit, temptation walks right into your life:

On the cards right now are:

Lightweight interior (she's got period original Recaro buckets like the one in the link), a rollcage, strut bracing, spherical shockmounts, and a slightly breathed on engine (hence my interest in Nikasil).

My wife fortunately is very patient!

smiley32.gif . Have not got before pics here but can post on Tuesday , here is another finished project . The goose in the pic is my Gra-ma so just look around her . This is my dads project and he currently for 6 of these beast .

20080425_025808_Silver.JPG

Mud;

Will do - but while I look for some pics, why don't we get to see some of your SSS?
R2S22008-04-25 03:03:09

smiley32.gif . Have not got before pics here but can post on Tuesday ' date=' here is another finished project .[/quote']

That is very nice! (looking past your gran of course!)Wink

Guest Big H

Baie mooi.... net bly jy het nie kempekkernoglia wiele op nie..... sou die karretjie nie vertrou met sulke goetters op nie!!!!!!!!!

Veloce, that it very lekker indeed!  Hope you got some pics of the restoration too!

A 1974 or 5 Datsun SSS . Still not sure if I should restore it to it's former glory or put roll-cage and diff-lock .

Now this was a fun car to drive. In my opion, I would go the roll cage route.

Has your's still got the original "dog leg" box, with reverse top left and 1st bottom left?