Pyga Suspension Service

rossbotha

My oneten29 has picked up a bad creaking sound which I think I've narrowed down to the pivots where the shock is mounted.

How do you dismantle this to clean and check the bearings?

Also, what is the torque for the shock mounts?

Ross

The Pyga suspension bolts are torqued relatively tight.  Can be a bit of a mission to loosen them.  You need good, deep fitting hex wrenches.  Torque specs here  http://www.pygaindustries.com/support/faq.  Bearings are sealed so if you are going to dismantle you may as well replace them.  Can't remember the bearing sizes offhand but I'm sure that I have or you can get easily.  If you do need to replace bolts or spacers you can get from Pyga.  Their service is great.

Would a pivot on sealed bearings creak? Maybe the crank or seat post, creaks can be a pita to properly locate!

I've tried everything to isolate the sound. Crank and steatpost.

It makes it without any pressure on the pedals or sitting on the seat.

Post cleaned. Crank removed and cleaned.

Maybe ask on the big Pyga thread of this is an issue anyone has encountered in the pivots, I'd think it's somewhere else. Creaky pivots normally happen on those frames with small diameter dry bushing on the pivots, they get dirt in them/corrode/wear unevenly, start seizing etc and then they creak.

Would a pivot on sealed bearings creak? Maybe the crank or seat post, creaks can be a pita to properly locate!

I've had bad creaks on my suspension (sealed cartridge bearings). One cause was an over-tightened pivot bushing; went away when I retorqued everything to spec. Another creak was a caused by a skewer that had loosened up while riding.

I got some info from Pyga when I asked them about servicing the bearings. Below is a list of the bearings used.

Main pivot bearing - 6903 2RS MAX x 2

Rocker fix bearing - 6901 2RS MAX x 2

Seatstay bearings - 6901 2RS x 5

I've also sent you a PM with additional info.

• 2 years later...