Sunningdale, CPT to Rondebosch/Kenilworth

anybody seen george?

Hey all!

Does anyone have ideas or is anyone doing a commute like this or suggestions on what route would be the safest?
Below is 3 routes I have come up with, they differ slightly from the google maps but you should get the idea.

Route 1:

https://goo.gl/maps/uCj6YdevAh12

Route 2:
https://goo.gl/maps/rUsJtf3Ujsq

Route 3:

Basically the same route as route 2 except i take the gravel road next to the M5 and the footbridge over the Swart river and pop put next to the river club.

The morning will not be that big of an issue as will be leaving at 6am most mornings, it's the afternoons that concern me especially the crossing of koeberg interchange. I have driven the proposed part of going over koeberg interchange and there is a sidewalk with Traffic points-men stationed there for pedestrians to cross over the interchange where they have to come in contact with traffic.

You can try going via

Canal Walk

Over and down Century Metro station

12 Ave (just have pepper spray for dogs)

Over Old Mutual Metro Station

Forest Drive

etc

Hello dude,

Either of the first two options are fine! Did those two routes for almost 6 years before cycle lanes came about. Only thing I would change is get off Milner and Belvedere roads by cruising through the burbs rather in the run up to Kenilworth. Less traffic and vehicles don't come past you as fast, drivers usually far more courteous in the side roads too!

Salt River circle is more useful for morning run and the other route for the evening run. You do want to swop it up a little from time to time, so that you are not a planned target for being on the same stretch at exactly the same time every day! You'll figure out some useful routes quick enough!

Enjoy the riding dude! Most awesome way to rack up 200 + clicks a week before the weekend and it costs you roughly the same amount of time as sitting in the car!

• 5 months later...

Mr G.T, have you been commuting since you posted this? I also live in Sunningdale area and need to commute to Newlands. Doing it by car at the moment, but traffic is killing me. 

Mr G.T, have you been commuting since you posted this? I also live in Sunningdale area and need to commute to Newlands. Doing it by car at the moment, but traffic is killing me. 

I did it this morning. Left West Beach and cycled in from there on the Cycle Lanes to section street in Paarden Eiland, than over the Koeberg Interchange, across Voortrekker road on Cannon Street, up Berkley to Alexandra Road, took a right. Went past Vincent Palotti Hospital, right onto Raapenberg Road and into Rondebosch\Mowbray. Took 55 mins.

I'm commuting from Milnerton to Newlands every day. I take marine drive until woodstock and then albert road -> liesbeek parkway

Thanks Tubehunter! That helped a lot! Do you commute regularly? 

At least 3 days of the week I commute by bike. There's a large crew of chaps who commute the stretch into town from that side. Ping Hairy a PM. He'll hook you up on their whatsapp group. That way you can take the cycle lane to Woodstock similar to dev above but you wont be doing the part that goes under the N1 on your own. (That piece is a hotspot and it's better to wait for someone else who is cycling the lane to go through there with you than do it alone)