Bonnievale 95km Road Race Review 31st OCT

Richard F

Bear with here but Whitney Houston`s `I Get So Emotional, Baby`, isn`t the first thing that springs to mind when you think about cycling...or Bonnievale, either, for that matter but it was blasting out of the PA at the start line and it`s now Tuesday and I still can`t get the bloody thing out of my head.

Anyway, I set off in the last group and with dogged determination and fortitude of spirit managed to get dropped by the Robertson circle, I`m not a great rider (normally middle of the pack) and I wasn`t going for a fast time (just as well) but I think it goes to show the quality of the field you attract to these smaller events. Really keen and strong guy`s & gals already to give it 6 love but really enjoy it at the same time.

The fun really started at the circle, too, as we turned right straight into a headwind that cut my speed from 30 to 20kph in an instant. There was a guy walking past preaching the gospel so I shouted out to him to ask `The Big Fella` to turn the wind down a bit, I don`t think he was as well connected as he implied as not much happened. Got talking to a guy on a green Bianchi Sempre Pro and we rode the next 60kms together, great bloke (not many of us left, truth be told) and the Bianchi left me feeling a bit `Celeste` with envy (sorry!).

Tell me, if you rode the race, why did it feel like most of it was uphill, how does that happen when you start and finish in the same place?

I think the worst part was at the 60k mark as we went past the water station at the top of another hill, there was a lovely downhill section...at last, but as we got closer it turned out to be only for the 60k race and we had to turn right for the 95k...thank you, Mr Organiser!

I was riding a Scott Solace 20: vital statistics - 11-32, 50-34, 11 speed, only used the 32 once (might be lying about that), but if you are thinking of going from 10 to 11 you must do it, the gear spread is night and day to 10 speed. The chassis on the Scott is fantastic and very comfortable. The engine on top could do with being de (Klippies and) coke(d).

70 to 80k`s went on for ever with one real Mother-in-Law of a hill, thank that Japanese Deity, Shimano for that 32! I picked up the pace at 85k`s (relative term)and with much clenching of teeth and other areas stormed across the line in a very respectable (ahem) 4 hours.

At this stage I would like to give a big thank you to the organisers, the marshal`s, the Traffic Police, the girls on the water tables and also the supporter`s on the side of the road. It`s easy to pay your money and go ride your bike but it`s a hell of a job bringing these events together and making them run smoothly and safely, once again: Thank you to all involved.

Finally, to Para-Phrase Arnold Scharzenegger: `Will I Be Back`?... Would love to, but firstly they`ve got to do something about Whitney Bloody Houston.

Richard Fitzpatrick