Training routes around Morning side area

Chris2003

Staying in Morning Side Joburg from the 23rd Dec to the 4th Jan. Looking for group rides and safe routes on Road bike. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There will be unofficial Club100 rides. They normally start their road rides at Luca's restaurant in Rivonia Crossing every Sunday at 6:30. There will be other rides as well, but I'm not sure where and when.

I am in Morningside and you can ride out to the cradle and back, is pretty safe.  I did a solo ride this morning.  Here my strava https://www.strava.com/activities/450999637/overview.  Download the GPX file and save it as a course on your garmin to follow.

I generally do not group ride, but should be around (may be in Durbs for a few days between Xmas and NY), welcome to join if am doing a cradle ride.

PM me when you are here.

Else Cycle lab have group rides out to the cradle every Saturday leaving at 6am from the CL shop in fourways.

I'm also going to be in morningside from tomorrow until 2 Jan. Shout if you want to head out to the cradle/find a hill somewhere nearby and do some hill training ^^,

Whilst we are too slow for you Kristin, my wife and I will leave Bryanston at about 5:45 and ride out to the cradle and back. Average about 24km/h for about 80-90 km route. We climb St James Crescent on cold legs then into Grovener through Douglasdale on to Witkoppen right into Malibonwe. Follow Malli past Kya Sands (not great road surface) until second turn into cradle near Lanseria airport. Quick ride around cradle via Caves and then back to Sandton via Cedar.

Lots of opportunities to lengthen or shorten ride.

There are normally lots of riders about and you often find informal groups. An initiated greeting and a request to ride along are almost always met with a big welcome.