How much is cheap or too much - New MTB

Tebza

Hi everyone

Thanks for the welcome on the hub. I have been following most of the advices given.

Please assist. I am buying a new MBT soon and want to be sure of what to get. I'm 1.68cm, very athletic and fit. I intend to ride 2 or 3 times per week for average 2 hours.

I have seen:

1). 27.5", 24 gears, hydraulics brakes MTB for R5000 brand new

2) 27.5", 10 Speed & 30 gears bike with XT Shimano gears, hydraulics suspension, auto-lock on the panel for R9500, brand new.

Please advice what to consider?

I'm aware of all the other accessories, etc my main worry at the moment is a bike.

Thanks in advance

T

Hi and welcome. IMHO don't go below R10k if you want a decent new entry level bike. From there the rest depends on your budget.

Thanks for feedback. I had an initial budget of R15000 max for bike and most important accessories...

Thanks for feedback. I had an initial budget of R15000 max for bike and most important accessories...

Give Lance from Obike (http://www.obike.co.za/) an email. See what he can give you for around your budget, most likely it will be far superior to what you could get at the shops for the same price (it would just be a 2014 or 2015 model).

I agree with the sentiment that you should spend R10k+ if you can. I bought a R5000 bike from Makro to see if I would get into the sport (which I did), and while it was fine for riding around on roads and dirt roads, if you intend to cycle often like it seems you would like to, or do proper singletrack then the extra R12-18k bikes will definitely be worth it.

10k will get you a good new bike and 5k should get you the important accessories you need to start, helmet, shorts, shirt, gloves etc. Expect to spend more over time though. There are far more expensive bikes out there, so you need to know what you're willing to spend and what you want to do and take it from there, it can get expensive.

Thanks DCJ, I will surely follow up with them.

Big Ray, thanks... I just don't want to make a mistake by going cheaper. I'm in for a long haul, I may upgrade in a years time.

Thanks DCJ, I will surely follow up with them.

Big Ray, thanks... I just don't want to make a mistake by going cheaper. I'm in for a long haul, I may will upgrade in a years time.

Fixed 

Enjoy, it's a catchy sport. 

Archived