Look what I saw

Iwan Kemp

Is Raleigh South AFrican? 

Nope -it's British, but it's only a brand. They don't actually make any bikes, they

just sell the badge. The SA licensees are Probike, who spec, build and import

Raleigh bikes from Taiwan (where practically everyone else also makes their

bikes...).

So yeah, I suppose Raleigh in SA is Proudly Sarf Effrican.

South African? Not even close.

The ONLY SA bike brands are Silverback and Morewood with ONLY Morewood manufacturing locally.

Google Morewood and you'll find that many international riders have piloted their bikes to podium finishes.

Besides I'd rather ride a Silverback than a Raleigh...and not just because Raleigh had carbon issues in the past.

Guest Big H

Aw well I tried...... Raleigh high quality bicycle frames, like 99,99999% of other brands ARE made in Taiwan and specced with Shimano or Sram...... o ja kempekkernoglia does not produce high enough quality bike thingies to even try and produce MTB groupsets...... their previous venture was a flop!!!!!!!! Big H2008-05-03 09:34:43

Now I will not go that far . the SA raleigh MTB are very good bikes and best value for money you can get . You will also not find a "sa designed" Raleigh in any other place but here . Now we all know the reason for that but lets not go there .

Guest Big H

Kraai..... wie in Suid Afrika bou/maak die gorilla frames ..... ag ekke bedoel Silverback???????? Ek is seker hulle kom van dieselfde fabriek waar die Raleigh rame vandaan kom.

Yip, it does. That's why I said they are a SA company like Morewood, but Morewood is the only company that actually manufactures locally.

Silverback's office is in Cape Town, but the bikes all come from the East.

South African? Not even close.

Besides I'd rather ride a Silverback than a Raleigh...and not just because Raleigh had carbon issues in the past.

Define South African: most frames are manufactured in Taiwan, and the groupsets are Japanese (Shimano), Italian (Campag) or Taiwanese (SRAM - American, but manufactured in Taiwan, AFAIK). Ditto for wheels and shocks.

Morewood is true blue SA, but Raleigh is as South African as Trek is American or Bianchi Italian...

Secondly, the carbon issues Raleigh had with their bikes were only on the road frames. I've just completed the Epic on my RM Team full carbon hardtail and it took a bashing (including me doing loop-the-loops on it and not making the landing) with no problems. It's a tough bike...

Guest Big H

You said it in your posting..... Trek is American (the founder was South African though and TREK IS named after the Groot Trek, the first badge was two voorlaaiers crossed), Bianchi is Italian and RALEIGH IS PROUDLY SOUTH AFRICAN!!!!!!!!!