The Classics

'Dale

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

112km remaining from 200.7km

The nine leaders have padded out their advantage still further. The gap to the peloton now stands at six minutes as they head towards the Kanarieberg.

There's an injection of pace in the peloton, and the break's lead is shaved by a minute and now stands at 4:30.

Ian Stannard (Sky) leads the front segment of the peloton on the Kwaremont's uneven sea of cobbles, before Zdenek Stybar (Quick-Step) attacks, with Tiesj Benoot (Lotto Soudal) on his wheel.

Stybar and Benoot lead the front section of the peloton over the top of the Kwaremont and they begin the rapid descent 3:28 down on the nine leaders.

Stefan Kung (BMC) made it across to Benoot and Stybar right at the top of the Kwaremont and this trio has opened a small lead over the fragmented peloton.

80km remaining from 200.7km

Stybar, Kung and Benoot look set to be caught by a group of around 15 riders ahead of the next climb, the Kluisberg, and this could be the decisive selection of the race. The break, meanwhile, remains 3:25 up the road.

Stybar, Kung and Benoot are caught by the group of 15, which includes Tony Martin (Katusha), Ian Stannard (Sky) - and quite a smattering of Quick-Step Floors jerseys. The empire strikes back...

????????

Peter Sagan is also in this selection, which has swelled to around 30 riders on the flat road ahead of the Kluisberg.

The six leaders hit a cobbled section... and immediately hop onto the pavement to their right. A commissaire waves an arm from the race car behind them, and they duly hop back onto the cobbles.

Greg Van Avermaet (BMC), Arnaud Demare (FDJ), Tony Martin (Katusha), Peter Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe), Tiesj Benoot (Lotto Soudal) and Zdenek Stybar (QuickStep) are among the riders in this rather elite chasing group, which is 2:57 down on the leaders. The main body of the peloton is 3:50 down.

The gap drops inside the two-minute margin as the chasers crease into an echelon on the flat, exposed road before the Tiegemberg.

????????????

The echelon fans across the road and Tony Martin (Katusha-Alpecin) clips a car parked on the roadside and crashes. Baptiste Planckaert (Katusha-Alpecin) and Guillaume Boivin also come down with him.

Martin fell on his face and has a cut to his cheek. Remarkably, he remounts and continues, but he knows that his race is over as a contest.

61km remaining from 200.7km

Stuyven sets the tempo in the chasing group on the Tiegemberg, meanwhile, and the break's lead is sliced still further, and now stands at 1:28.