Le Turbo Fixie

Cat2forLife

So this bike actually belongs to a friend of mine, but he'll be moving to Germany in Feb, then it will be all mine! And we figured it would be a fun build project for now.

I don't really know where this frame comes from or what year it might be or what it was used for, so if anyone can shed some light, that would be massively appreciated.

There's a lot of rust at the moment, but rest assured, she will be lovingly restored.

le_turbo_steel_track_31240_4.jpg

Le Turbo steel frame

le_turbo_steel_track_31240_1.jpg

le_turbo_steel_track_31240_2.jpg

Mavic hoops with Suntour Superb hubs. (if anyone knows what rims these are, please do share!)

le_turbo_steel_track_31240_5.jpg

le_turbo_steel_track_31240_6.jpg

Cinelli Pista bars and stem

[url=https://postimage.org]le_turbo_steel_track_31240_7.jpg

[url=https://postimage.org]le_turbo_steel_track_31240_8.jpg

It looks like a locally made Le Turbo from the early 80's with the top tube braze on cable guides. Probably Reynolds 501 tubing, very strong and perfect for a fixie.

My advise would be to lightly sand or treat the rust and then touch up leaving the original paint work. Makes the bike more special than some bland sandblasted and powder coated spray job you see all the time.

I have a rear Suntour Superbe track wheel (tubbie) for sale if you are looking to match to the front. Alternatively I would be keen to buy the front off you if you don't want to run tubbies. If you going to do lots of skidding tubbies are a very expensive option.

Lovely project bud. Try keep her as original as possible. And what whatever you do. Do not go full Hipster. That will be a waste.

Thanks! I live very far north past the boere wors curtain, so I am as hipster as Coca Cola

It looks like a locally made Le Turbo from the early 80's with the top tube braze on cable guides. Probably Reynolds 501 tubing, very strong and perfect for a fixie.

My advise would be to lightly sand or treat the rust and then touch up leaving the original paint work. Makes the bike more special than some bland sandblasted and powder coated spray job you see all the time.

I have a rear Suntour Superbe track wheel (tubbie) for sale if you are looking to match to the front. Alternatively I would be keen to buy the front off you if you don't want to run tubbies. If you going to do lots of skidding tubbies are a very expensive option.

Thanks for the info! I do have the rear hub and rear rim that I am going to build. Just need some spokes.

I was thinking of polishing the bars, stem and seat post and leaving the frame as is, but perhaps the touch up idea is a better one.

Not yet, but it soon will be!  ^_^

Kinda... Forward facing dropouts are an accident waiting to happen... 

Kinda... Forward facing dropouts are an accident waiting to happen... 

Oh I see what you mean.. Didn't think about that. Perhaps then a single speed.

Archived