Need help for first time MTB

sean1989

Hi guys I need help on my first bike choice. My child is 5 years old and done the 94.7 kiddies ride for 3 year now. He has asked me to get a bike to ride with him so I thought why not it's a great way to get in shape.

I have read reviews about steering clear of makro and game bikes and as such have been searching the net for a second hand bike.

I have come across a red and white Mongoose Tyax hardtail but it has lock out shocks and a shimano acrea derailer (not sure what that means). It seeks within my budget but may need a service for good measure.

What value would you guys place on that bike just so that I'm certain I'm not overpaying for it.

Is it a decent beginners bike.

Hi there.. As Fox3 asked, what is your budget.

You will probably find that after starting to ride, youll end up riding with other riders and not just your son. Then you'll notice the difference between cheap bikes and decent bikes and will want to upgrade. I always say buy as much bike as you can afford. If your budget allows, try to get a 29er rather than the 26er.

If your purpose is to ride with your kid then any size including a 26" hard tail  will do. For the price of a new Makro type bike you should be able to pick up a good second hand one.