Tubular vs Clincher - What is your preference and why?

Warren Foyn

Correct, And we race and train on SA roads....

I stuck to my tubbies for years, but eventually I just had to switch to clinchers. I was fortunate though, because I hit a pothole with my tubbies so I got an insurance pay out. When it came time to buy new wheels, I had to make the sensible choice.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stuck to my tubbies for years, but eventually I just had to switch to clinchers. I was fortunate though, because I hit a pothole with my tubbies so I got an insurance pay out. When it came time to buy new wheels, I had to make the sensible choice.

Will never go back to tubbies.

I feel however for the guys how still have and wants to sell it...second hand value real bad here on Bikehub.

Will never go back to tubbies.

I feel however for the guys how still have and wants to sell it...second hand value real bad here on Bikehub.

I still have a set of tubbies as well. wanted to sell them but as you say, they're worth nothing. So I'd rather keep them. I've put them on an old T- Mobile giant TCR I have and they look the business.

The main justification for tubulars used to be rolling resistance and sometimes the ability to run at lower pressure without the risk of pinch flats.

However, it seems that new technology (e.g. tubeless) is finally changing this.

I found it very interesting that Tony Martin won the World Championships Time Trial on clinchers.

(http://www.velonews.com/2016/10/bikes-and-tech/no-tubulars-needed-martin-wins-worlds-with-clincher-tires_422800)

Also more importantly, according to bicyclerollingresistance.com, Vittoria's tubeless ready Corsa Speed TLR clincher is the fastest tyre currently available by a comfortable margin.

(http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/vittoria-corsa-speed-2016)

It was indeed interesting that Tony Martin rode on clinchers. Although he is a sponsored athlete, and the sponsors have a degree of persuasion when it comes to equipment "choice". I think the larger point here is that he won in spite of riding clinchers, and not because of it. I would contend that he would have been faster still had he ridden tubby's. An interesting statement in the report is that "Astana, another Specialized-sponsored team, doesn’t run clinchers because the team uses Corima wheels, which are tubular-only". As far as I'm aware Complete Cyclist have been selling clincher Corima wheels for several years now. Am I mistaken, or is this an indication of poor factual content of the article written by Dan Cavallari? In which case there could be several more inaccuracies... I ask this question because another quote in the article which doesn't sound right to me, and isn't substantiated in any way, is “The clincher tire with clincher rims has less energy loss from deformation, which makes it faster,” says VormWalde. Everything I know about tubby's and clinchers contradicts that statement.

Regarding the Corsa Speed TLR being the fastest tyre on the market, that's all good and well. The question is, is it faster than a tubby? Their test results clearly indicate an increased rolling resistance as the tyre pressure drops, so this obviously supports the rationale that tubby's will therefore have lower rolling resistance when inflated to pressures >10-11bar vs a clincher at 8.3bar. And with the admittedly low puncture resistance of the Vittoria Corsa Speed, is it therefore a practical choice for use on South African roads? Probably not, unless you have tubeless wheels, and run them tubeless with sealant. In which case, why would that option be better than tubular?

I think it's important for me at this point to clarify that I am in no way trying to convince anyone to buy tubulars over clinchers. I have no agenda, as I import and distribute both clincher and tubular wheels, and both clincher and tubular tyres. Several of our carbon clinchers are tubeless compatible too, so even that option won't affect our participation in that market segment. I have just found a number of advantages of riding tubby's over clinchers, and wanted to express them in order to perhaps inform some people, and provide some alternative perspectives. I'm glad I seem to have initiated some healthy debate and stimulated a few different thought processes :-)

People often talk about the "feel" of the tubbie.

But feel is such a subjective thing. But but, feel is an important part of a bike.

So I think if you make decisions purely on factual Pro's and cons you end up on clinchers.

Been on carbon clinchers for 2 years now and won't switch to tubbies.

100%, we ride our bikes because it makes us FEEL... (whatever it is that each one of us feels) So yes, "feel" is very important. My tubby's make me feel fast! So I just close my eyes when the other guys ride away from me, that way the feeling remains :)

But what do you feel are the pro's of clinchers that makes you prefer them?

100%, we ride our bikes because it makes us FEEL... (whatever it is that each one of us feels) So yes, "feel" is very important. My tubby's make me feel fast! So I just close my eyes when the other guys ride away from me, that way the feeling remains :)

But what do you feel are the pro's of clinchers that makes you prefer them?

The practical advantages have been listed above.

What are the advantages of tubbies over clinchers besides "feel" in your opinion?

Concerning the weight difference, do 200g on a wheelset make a noticeable difference?

I think this might answer your question:

http://www.training4cyclists.com/how-much-time-does-extra-weight-cost-on-alpe-dhuez/ 

The bottom line is that weight does indeed make a substantial difference, and weight on the wheels an even bigger difference than weight on the bike or person.

If you're looking purely at speed/time trade-off, like in a TT, then the margins may seem insignificant. However, if you're racing against others as in a road race, then those few seconds that you may lose on a climb due to heavier equipment (wheels) could be the difference between you riding off into the sunset with a small group that get's away vs watching that same small group ride up the road without you ;-)

cosmic carbone 40mm clinchers + 25mm conti S2's tyres for training and racing why complicate it

So what is the difference between your statement and:

"XYZ 40mm tubby's + Elite S3 tubular tyres with sealant, why complicate it? And why stop to fix the occasional puncture either?"

After many seasons of 'tubs' for some weight saving, I have decided to train harder :devil: and get some cool carbon clinchers, about a month ago.

The tech improvement in top-end carbon clinchers was definitely the swinging vote. :huh:

Fair enough, and each to his own. However I'm curious as to why you feel that clinchers are a better option? Sure, there have been vast tech improvements in clinchers, and that's great, but what is it about them that now makes them a preferable option for you?

in a perfect world, tubbies all the way. Unfortunately the world is not perfect, so I have clinchers.

So what is it then about clinchers that make them a better fit for this imperfect world?

So what is it then about clinchers that make them a better fit for this imperfect world?

For a guy that sells wheels, you sure have a lot of questions about wheels ;)

The practical advantages have been listed above.

What are the advantages of tubbies over clinchers besides "feel" in your opinion?

I've listed them in the very first post of this thread, that was my whole reason for starting it. I'm struggling to find any practical advantages of clinchers listed above, that's why I'm pressing people for reasons behind their preferences Patch.

For a guy that sells wheels, you sure have a lot of questions about wheels ;)

LOL, no, the questions are about the opinions  :D

Archived