[Event] The 36ONE Challenge

Dryland Events

Event Name: The 36ONE Challenge
When: 24/05/2024 - 26/05/2024
Where: Kleinplaas Resort, OudtshoornOudtshoorn, Western Cape
Category: Mountain Bike

This is South Africa’s ultimate race with 361km and a maximum of 36.1 hours to complete it. While this race remains a mountain bike race in our opinion, participants now have the flexibility to take it on with a gravel- or mountain bike, so choose wisely! If you are not up for the full Challenge you can take on The Half or opt for The Relay in a team of 4.

Go to Event Page.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, 

This is my first time taking on 360one. Any tips that you would suggest, especially things to include/not include in the boxes and what to start the bike with given a 3pm start?

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Long story short, the opportunity came up and I entered yesterday without really thinking about it.. Will also be my first 36One. Any tips are welcome!

Especially what to pack in what crate?

Do you mount your lights from the start or at Checkpoint 1?

I entered the Solo MTB cat, but can switch to a gravelbike if the terrain is gravelbike friendly?

Two months to quickly get fit, let's go!

1 hour ago, JohanDiv said:

Long story short, the opportunity came up and I entered yesterday without really thinking about it.. Will also be my first 36One. Any tips are welcome!

I entered the Solo MTB cat, but can switch to a gravelbike if the terrain is gravelbike friendly?

You will find a lot of info on the 'older' threads - 2018 / 19 had a lot IIRC.

You are welcome to send me a DM with questions if you like, but I can only comment as a back of the pack finisher - between 24 & 28 hours 🙂

If you have support at the CP's it helps with options ito what you will need. If you only use the crates - CP1 should generally have warmer clothing/spare battery if you intend swopping out. I also prepare my nutrition in zip bags beforehand for the sections to come if you do not want to use the Biogen. Also a meal replacement if you battle with your stomach. Maybe wetwipes if you want. 

CP2 maybe another spare battery/nutrition. Sunblock if you are only arriving in the day. 

CP3 not much,sunblock if you are fast,nutrition - use this box to dump some weight.

I definitely do not get to CP1 in daytime so will start with my lights.

Cannot comment on the gravelbike - only mtb for me.

1 hour ago, JohanDiv said:

Pack a note from a loved one in the last crate encouraging you to finish.

25 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

Pack a note from a loved one in the last crate encouraging you to finish.

I try to have a loved one there for this very reason....but if you are as fast was Waldo this might not go well with the loved one.

1 minute ago, hboli4 said:

I try to have a loved one there for this very reason....but if you are as fast was Waldo this might not go well with the loved one.

No, don't have loved ones there. You will be tempted to climb in the car 🤪🤣