Going for a shorter stem on a Specialized Epic

matthewproctor

I've recently moved from a 2016 Specialized Camber Comp Carbon to an 2016 Epic Elite Carbon World Cup.

I ride mainly spruit, northern farms, trail stuff. I definitely wasn't using the Camber to it's full potential, but did enjoy the comfortable ride.

I immediately enjoyed the ease with which you can climb on the Epic. Bike does indeed feel much lighter and more effortless going uphill. A rougher ride no doubt. I was concerned the more aggressive position on the bike would be uncomfortable but other than a little chafe from a different seat (didn't get that with my camber) i've found it surprisingly comfortable.

First ride on the spruit it definitely felt a little 'twitchy' and I lacked some confidence I had with the camber. I changed the front tyre to a 2.2 ground control for a bit more grip. I see online they also say the stem is far too long (Specialized Stout XC 100 mm) and advised going for a shorter (70mm) stem. Would this help me with handling? If so what stem would you advise and what would they go for?

Cheers,

Matt

post-105894-0-21186500-1484498783_thumb.jpg

The twitchiness is related to both the length of stem as well as head angle.

The steeper the head angle, the twitchier it becomes. 

The shorter the stem, the twitchier it feels. Making the stem shorter, would increase twichiness.

Wider bars and hands wide, decreases twitchness.

As the Epic has a steeper head angle than a Camber, they place a longer stem and wider bars on it to take care of some of the twitchiness. But it is a race snake bike, it is supposed to be twitchy.

Edited by Baracuda

Yip. I've had both an Epic and now Camber. Head angle on the Epic is XC spec and not Trail. Then the Camber also has a lower BB height which also changes the handling.

I fist had the Epic, had a rock strike which damaged the carbon BB beyond repair. Insurance replaces the frame and I opted for a Camber. All my components except Fork (100mm vs 120mm) were moved across. After the first ride on the Camber with the old 130mm Epic Stem it was clear I was never going to get around a corner. Today I have a 80mm stem on the Camber.

So I'm not sure you will get the results you want going shorter on the Epic. Epic is the chosen weapon for many, perhaps you just need to get used to it and also consider riding style. I was very happy with my Epic's handling.

One last thing, that pic I assume is of your new steed. That seat post is very far out the frame, if you are riding a frame that is one size too small it will also affect the handling. But I'm eye balling that one and I know the Spez guys do ride very long posts on the Epics sometimes.

I live by the BDF cycling pledge. One day. Every day. #9Rules

Edited by WrightJnr

Go with a shorter stem and wider bars. Shorter stem will move your weight further back on the bike and wider bars will aid control. Maybe first share the measurements of the bike.

If it's stock then the bars should be 720mm wide.

I've just done the opposite swop i.e Epic Comp Carbon to a Camber Comp Carbon.

Your observations on the Epic are spot on... More aggressive rider position due to bike geometry, harsher ride, twitchy like a skittish horse, but climbs like a homesick angel as is properly fast on the level bits.

Not a lot you can do to make it less twitchy other than wider bars (760mm or 780mm), play with suspension setup (pressure & rebound speeds) and maybe trying out wider profile rims with 2.25 or 2.3 tyres.

The move over to a Camber has been eye opening to compare how racey the Epic really was and how much more trail-oriented the Camber is. Living in the Cape and riding only technical(ish) trails, the Camber is buckets of fun at the expense of a slight efficiency loss.

Yip. I've had both an Epic and now Camber. Head angle on the Epic is XC spec and not Trail. Then the Camber also has a lower BB height which also changes the handling.

I fist had the Epic, had a rock strike which damaged the carbon BB beyond repair. Insurance replaces the frame and I opted for a Camber. All my components except Fork (100mm vs 120mm) were moved across. After the first ride on the Camber with the old 130mm Epic Stem it was clear I was never going to get around a corner. Today I have a 80mm stem on the Camber.

So I'm not sure you will get the results you want going shorter on the Epic. Epic is the chosen weapon for many, perhaps you just need to get used to it and also consider riding style. I was very happy with my Epic's handling.

One last thing, that pic I assume is of your new steed. That seat post is very far out the frame, if you are riding a frame that is one size too small it will also affect the handling. But I'm eye balling that one and I know the Spez guys do ride very long posts on the Epics sometimes.

I live by the BDF cycling pledge. One day. Every day. #9Rules

Thanks for the input! That pic was taken the day I picked up the bike. I'll post another one when I get home as it's been setup since then. ;)