Paint removal for respray

berg_fiets

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any suggestions on safely removing paint from a carbon frame? I don't want to weaken the resin that holds the carbon fibre together. Will paint remover do it?

Hi Goofguff. 

The best way is the manual way.  Sand it down by hand slowly to the point where you reach the epoxy layer which protects the carbon. 

This process is time consuming but really the safest and best way.  Paint stripper is very volatile and will definitely damage the paint, a heat gun may work to a degree but also not advisable at all, as heat warps and weakens the carbon. We've tried various techniques over the years, and quite honestly, we do it manually.  Hope this helps.

Hi Goofguff. 

The best way is the manual way.  Sand it down by hand slowly to the point where you reach the epoxy layer which protects the carbon. 

This process is time consuming but really the safest and best way.  Paint stripper is very volatile and will definitely damage the paint, a heat gun may work to a degree but also not advisable at all, as heat warps and weakens the carbon. We've tried various techniques over the years, and quite honestly, we do it manually.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice...this is how I will do it then.

Archived