Paint removal for respray

berg_fiets

I had my frame and cranks blasted and coated at a place in Stikland. I found that for my requirements the cycling places were taking the piss. Guess it depends on the finish you are looking for and how much you intend to spend. Im happy with the result for R600 all inclusive.

Nice!!! Would you mind sharing the name/details of the place that you used?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hijack, but what would be a ball park figure to respray/redecal this type of frame to standard (as is) colours. I have a refurb coming up and want to be prepared.

OP, good luck with your project????

Probably around the R1500-R2100 mark. Depends if you want custom or just flat respray/decals.

Like I said, contact BogusOne

If its a steel frame, get the cheapist nastiest paint stripper, put it on, wait 5-10 minutes, high pressure water spray it off, repeat .. normaly 2 times should give you 100% clean frame. Don't waste time with scrapers etc, rather rent a high pressure machine if you don't have one or can't borrow one.

The "nice enviromental stuff" works fine, just takes ages and few goes.

Clean with water, then prepsol (decreaser) then overcoat (tin cans works very well if you buy good quality tins) . If some surface rust, just water paper it off , decrease then coat.

Edit:

If you don't have buddy at spray centre, Rust-oleum tins are VERY nice paint. Not had flop with it yet (touch wood).

Going to give the Rust-oleum a go for all the small parts... Presume you got it at a place like Builders?

Anybody got any specific suggestions... I'm clueless on this stuff, but i would like to do it properly the first time

I have coated some alloy bits with Prominent QD clear- holding up pretty well so far, and I have used automotive 2k clear as well - drop me a mail.

Going to give the Rust-oleum a go for all the small parts... Presume you got it at a place like Builders?

Yup, builders.  rust-oleum can spray is just so much better than the rest .. no idea why. 

Just remember, rather 5 thin coats than 1 thick coat .  Basically, do a  very thin "mist" coat (you must just be able to see some paint on the item), wait 30 seconds, another mist coast, 30 seconds etc.  

Yup, builders. rust-oleum just can spray is just so much better than the rest .. no idea why.

Just remember, rather 5 thin coats than 1 thick coat . Basically, do a very thin "mist" coat (you must just be able to see some paint on the item), wait 30 seconds, another mist coast, 30 seconds etc.

Awesomeness. Tnx bud

• 1 month later...

Hi Hubbers,

Wonder if someone can give me advice on the follow?

I'm restoring an oldish Giant Reign and the frame was anodized black. Is there a way to strip the anodize? They can sandblast it but I'm scared it will damage the frame. Maybe chemical stripper that will work? Or a place that someone can recommend sandblasting it at.

Thanks in advance.

You don't have to strip it to bare metal - just has to be lightly sanded with about 400 grit to create a tooth for the undercoat.

You don't have to strip it to bare metal - just has to be lightly sanded with about 400 grit to create a tooth for the undercoat.

Sorry forgot to add... Want to anodize it again. Not black like I got it.

It's a steel frame so shot blasting or bead blasting though it is still going to leave a rough surface. If you flat the frame it will be best for respray. It is quite a bit of work. I have used paint stripper before also with great success but that was for a sweet brushed finish. Unless you're a good spray-painter I would have it done by someone like CBR or bogus to get the desired results.

Box it.

Courier it to Carbon Ninja in Durbs.

Wait 2 weeks.

Pay the account and get it back stripped and repsrayed in any design that you can think of.

Box it.

Courier it to Carbon Ninja in Durbs.

Wait 2 weeks.

Pay the account and get it back stripped and repsrayed in any design that you can think of.

So send his details please...

Hi Hubbers,

Wonder if someone can give me advice on the follow?

I'm restoring an oldish Giant Reign and the frame was anodized black. Is there a way to strip the anodize? They can sandblast it but I'm scared it will damage the frame. Maybe chemical stripper that will work? Or a place that someone can recommend sandblasting it at.

Thanks in advance.

If it really anodized, then its impregnated into the material (dyed basically), so if you want it reanodized, take it to anodizing shop and let them strip and redo it for you, cost should be the same as they have to etch/prep the material in any case. (You can anodize at home, if you really bored)

google say you can use caustic soda or phosphoric acid to strip the dye (anodizing), both nasty stuff to play around with for such big piece, but its possible. (But just do your own research as well, that was very quick google)

of course .. this all assumed its a pure aluminium or titanium frame, you cannot anodize other materials using normal anodizing techniques. (well 10 years ago when last I played with this)

L:

Sorry forgot to add... Want to anodize it again. Not black like I got it.

Let your anodiser decide how to strip it - they do it as part of the prep for new anodising.

It's taken off with some sort of alkali I believe - but I have never done it myself- just painted a couple of previously anodised frames.

If it really anodized, then its impregnated into the material (dyed basically), so if you want it reanodized, take it to anodizing shop and let them strip and redo it for you, cost should be the same as they have to etch/prep the material in any case. (You can anodize at home, if you really bored)

google say you can use caustic soda or phosphoric acid to strip the dye (anodizing), both nasty stuff to play around with for such big piece, but its possible. (But just do your own research as well, that was very quick google)

of course .. this all assumed its a pure aluminium or titanium frame, you cannot anodize other materials using normal anodizing techniques. (well 10 years ago when last I played with this)

L:

Thanks. I did google but obviously scared of damaging the metal. I'm going to phone Astro Holdings and find out.

Let your anodiser decide how to strip it - they do it as part of the prep for new anodising.

It's taken off with some sort of alkali I believe - but I have never done it myself- just painted a couple of previously anodised frames.

Thanks. If they can't then I'll spray it.

Archived