[Event] KAROOBAIX

Stan Engelbrecht

Event Name: KAROOBAIX
When: 9 October 2017 - 10 October 2017
Where: Hantam Huis, Calvinia, Northern Cape
Category: Cyclocross

KAROOBAIX is a new two-day 404km stage race for modern gravel / cyclocross style bicycles through the South African Karoo on 9 / 10 October 2017. The route is almost exclusively gravel, and range from super smooth hard-packed dirt to soft sand, sharp rocks and corrugations. The race will be semi-supported, and there will be two rest stops with good food, coffee and fresh water along each of the two stages.

The name KAROOBAIX (pronounced ka-roo-bay) pays homage the Paris-Roubaix race, the murderous European Classic that earned itself the nickname Hell of the North, and our unique, spectacular and sometimes inhospitable semi-desert region of the Karoo.

The rules are very simple. You can ride any bike you'd like, but no suspension of any form is allowed, you have to ride minimum 35c / 1.4" volume tyres, and drop handlebars are mandatory. Any conventional frame style or material is allowed, and all wheel sizes are welcome. No tandems or recumbents.

Visit the KAROOBAIX website for more information, or follow @karoobaix on Instagram.

Go to Event Page

hubevents-24615-0-10655900-1499517206_thumb.png