Fat-adapted LCHF cyclists / tri-athletes still needed for UCT study

Droewors Cyclist

Hi all

We're still looking for some more fat-adapted cyclists (cyclists, tri-athletes, fit people who ride often socially) for the UCT study into respiratory thresholds. Fat-adapted cyclists refer to people who follow a low-carbohydrate high-fat diet (or Banting diet).

Please contact us (see attachment) if you follow a LCHF diet or pass on the message to anyone you know who claims to be fat-adapted. There will be some great feedback from this study including VO2max, peak power output and 20 min FTP under lab conditions, and a dietary analysis.

Once we're done testing the LCHF group, we'll be recruiting the high-carb guys. So keep an eye out for the post in a month or so from now. Testing is in Cape Town so you'll have to be based in Cape Town to participate.

More details are in the attachment.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I would have loved to participate if I was in CT. From my own experience I can go long (96km was the longest distance I've covered) in a fasted state at a very sedentary pace. I did 110km with Bullet proof coffee and droewors and nuts with Hi5 Zero at a bit of tempo pace.

However, the moment I put the hammer down I wont even last an hour. For races and group rides I know that will be hard, I take carbs before and during.

It will be very interesting to see the results of both these tests.