Car Jacking....mmmmmm

Whafe

Dont buy a Toyota HiAce. Dont know about being jacked but has the highest figure for being stolen.

Logical explanation for it though.

Yep' date=' you have burst my bubble.................LOL

What is the mentality behind mugging someone, then to have to shoot them. Is that becasue they feel you will come back and hunt down there family so to speak?

Every city in the world has its bad bits, your just gets bought to the attention of the world more, a shame really. Stats wise it is up there though...... I guess they will be trying hard to clean this up by the Football WC in 2010....

Have been 6 times to South Africa, never had an issue either. touch wood, crossed fingers, arm, legs, tung......LOL

[/quote']

Not to optemistic about 2010...I doubt we are going to host the worldcup, We are too far behind, but let's see, hopefully I am wrong. That said what happens to all the people that got employed for 2010 and all the buildings, housing, stadiums etc that got builded? I see a increase in crime after 2010.

Daemon. Ek moet se dit is die mees ongeligte, pessimistiese, stupid stelling wat ek in 'n lang tyd gehoor het!!!!

Daemon. Ek moet se dit is die mees ongeligte' date=' pessimistiese, stupid stelling wat ek in 'n lang tyd gehoor het!!!![/quote']

Perhaps, but let's see.

Fanie ou maat waneer laas het jy 'n koerant gelees ??? Daar is nie 'n manier dat dinge sal reg wees vir hierdie 2010 fiasko nie en soos Daemon gese het waar gaan al daai hordes werkloses eweskielik heen as die werk klaar is ? Maar ek sal graag jou optimistiese weergawe wil hoor , miskien kan ek ook opgewonde raak oor die 2010 snert !

Koerante verkoop sensasie, nie mooi nuus nie. Maar almal is seker geregtig op hulle eie opinies.

Ek het nagraads bietjie ekonomie gedoen en die spin-offs van die ekonomiese groei en die siftingsproses van iets soos die world cup is enorm.

Maar dit gaan verseker nie vir ons grondvlak ouens wees om pessimisties en negatief oor dit te wees nie.

Ek kies om positief oor die storie te wees.

Thumbs%20Up Dis mooi om dit te hoor . Ek sien elke dag met my eie twee ogies hoe hulle probeer om 'n gat te grou vir een of ander trein . Hulle grou nou al twee maande aan die gat . Ek wil een aand gaan kyk want ek is seker iemand gooi die gat elke aand weer toe !Confused . Ekonomies sal dit great wees as ons govermunt by een of ander budget kan hou . Ek gaan ook partykeer so paar miljoen oor budget en is dan nog alright maar 'n paar biljoen oor budget !!! Anyway ek het nou die arme kerel se thread ge-high jack en sal nou eerder die spinman lede gaan lastig val .

Lost the conversation there Daemon, hope you are worng about the 2010 WC, that is an opportunity to totally have the world se SOuth Africa in a different light is it not?

The people of South Africa surely must understand this, maybe not, but are they educating or attempting to educate on this?

To give an opinion on avoiding being car-jacked...

As others have said, be vigilant.  From what I have read, car jackers will look for easy targets.  If somebody is walking up to your car, keep eye contact.  If it's a beggar at least give them the human respect of telling them that you are not giving them anything.  If it's a bad 'un at least you will have seen them before they are standing at your shoulder, and there is at least a chance that they will move on to an easier target.

As for car choice, as far as I can make out, most car jackings are to meet demand.  Either demand for executive cars (BMW 3 series, Merc C class, Audi A4), or to be chopped for cheap midnight spares (Toyota Corolla, VW Golf etc.).  In other words, popular aspirational cars and top selling cars.  My advice is to find a car (that you like) that does not fit into either of those categories. 

Both of the above points are made with some reservation - they are both the result of my consideration of the issues but I do not have stats to back either up.

Hey, Subaru's rock, and they seem to be a very low hijack risk. You can get a nice Outback, space for bikes, holidays, etc.

Hey, MichH, I was not for a minute suggesting anybody should buy a car that sucks.  Trust me, I am as much a petrolhead as a pedalhead. 

To give an opinion on avoiding being car-jacked...

As others have said' date=' be vigilant.  From what I have read, car jackers will look for easy targets.  If somebody is walking up to your car, keep eye contact.  If it's a beggar at least give them the human respect of telling them that you are not giving them anything.  If it's a bad 'un at least you will have seen them before they are standing at your shoulder, and there is at least a chance that they will move on to an easier target.

As for car choice, as far as I can make out, most car jackings are to meet demand.  Either demand for executive cars (BMW 3 series, Merc C class, Audi A4), or to be chopped for cheap midnight spares (Toyota Corolla, VW Golf etc.).  In other words, popular aspirational cars and top selling cars.  My advice is to find a car (that you like) that does not fit into either of those categories. 

Both of the above points are made with some reservation - they are both the result of my consideration of the issues but I do not have stats to back either up.
[/quote']

Good points BM, I guess that puts an Audi A4 out of the question!. mmmm that is waht i have at present in Europe. A subaru may well be th ego, have had 5 of them, they rock...............

Hi Whafe, the Audi A4 is not that high on the risk scale, but still up there

PM me your email address and I can send you some stats on the car

For info, the top one's as follows:

TOYOTA HIACE 1119
NISSAN 1400 507
TOYOTA HILUX 497
TOYOTA VENTURE 270
TOYOTA COROLLA 209
NISSAN HARDBODY 141
MITS COLT 125
ISUZU KB280 122
ISUZU KB250 114
VW CITI GOLF 103
TOYOTA CONQUEST 88
BMW 318 77
VW CHICO GOLF 75
TOYOTA STALLION 69
VW MICROBUS 67
FORD COURIER 65
AUDI A4 62
NISSAN 1 TON 61
TOYOTA DYNA 60
VW POLO CLASSIC 59
BMW 320i 58
FORD RANGER 57
TOYOTA TAZZ 55
TOYOTA HINO 53
MITS L300 52
FORD BANTAM 51

Strangely enough, the following have a very low risk of hi jacking (This is not to say that their theft rate is as low)

BELL0
BMW 333i0
BMW 5200
BMW 640i0
BMW 730i0
BMW 750i00
BMW 850i0
CHRYSLER WRANGLER0
CITROEN BERLINGO0
CITROEN C50
DAF0
DAEWOO LANOS0
DAEWOO NUBIRA0
DMA 3,5 TON0
DUCATTI 900SS0
FIAT SECEINTO0
FORD DRIFTER0
FORD RANCHERO0
FORD SIERRA0
FORD WINDSTAR0
FORD HORSE0
HONDA X 2000
HONDA CD 2000
HONDA CB250N0
HONDA MOTORBIKE0
HYUNDAI SANTAFE0
HYUNDAI SONATA0
INTER HARVESTER0
ISUZU 4X40
ISUZU JCR 5000
ISUZU JCR 7000
ISUZU JCR 8000
ISUZU KB2700
ISUZU KB280 D/C0
ISUZU N25000
ISUZU N3500D0
JEEP COUNTRY0
KAWASAKI ZXC 9R0
KIA K24000
KIA PREGIO0
KIA SHUMA0
LADA NIVA0
MAZDA ASTINA0
MAZDA 2.6 DC0
MAZDA MX60
MAZDA RX80
MAZDA SOHO0
MAZDA V18000
MERC 192850
MERC A1900
MERC 190E0
MERC 220E0
MERC 260E0
MERC 280E0
MERC 420SE0
MERC 560SEL0
MERC 300TE0
MERC C2500
MERC CLK2000
MERC E2300
MERC E42000
MERC E4300
MERC MB8000
MERC SL3000
MERC SL6000
MERC V-SERIES0
NISSAN 200Sti0
NISSAN 200GXR0
NISSAN 780FC0
NISSAN CABALL0
NISSAN CK300
NISSAN CK2900
NISSAN CM120
NISSAN CM140
NISSAN CW45HDF TT0
NISSAN SX 2000
NISSAN TIP0
NISSAN UD3500
NISSAN QX0
OPEL ESTATE0
OPEL RECORD0
PEUGEOT 4060
PORSCHE BOXTER0
ROWA T.V. SET0
SUZUKI GS5000
SUZUKI GSXR6000
SUZUKI GSXR7500
SUZUKI TL1000R0
TOYOTA 1800 PV0
TOYOTA MR20
TOYOTA PREVIA0
TOYOTA SPRINTER0
TRIUMPH TIGER0
VOLVO V600
VOLVO V700
VW CITI Cti0
VW JETTA 16V EXEC0
VW PANELVAN0
VW SHUTTLE0
VW SONIC0
YAMAHA AG2000
YAMAHA R10

64 Audi A4 Car jackings is enough to caution to me.... Or is it best to throw caution to the wind and not give a F, more or less.....................

Hang in New Zealand, no one would bother flogging a Toyota...LOL