Bicycle touring

rburger

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

search the routes & trails & bike travel forums, a few guys have posted up there.

where, when and how far do you have in mind?

I am in Pretoria (Moot) and keen to do some tours but it's been difficult to coordinate with other riders, what did you have in mind?

Thanks for all the help

It will be my first time and i am also in Pretoria (Centurion) i want to know what bike i must get or can i use my soft tail marida

I also need to get all the gear

You can definitely use the dual suspension, of you're going mostly on gravel roads or jeep tracks you'll be more comfortable (with the bumps), and you can carry your stuff in a seat pack, handlebar pack, frame bag, small backpack or all of these.

You don't actually need a lot of gear, although if you want to stick to camping you might need a bit more.

I personally wouldn't go that route as it limits your ability to go off road, the only real advantage is if you are really taking a LOT of stuff with you, my first bicycle tour many years back was with a trailer but a bad stretch of road broke the axle and lead to serious re-planning............

I personally wouldn't go that route as it limits your ability to go off road, the only real advantage is if you are really taking a LOT of stuff with you, my first bicycle tour many years back was with a trailer but a bad stretch of road broke the axle and lead to serious re-planning............

Toured with a trailer in 2010 and had a pleasant experience...  With the correct trailer you can easily ride gravel roads and most singletrack barring sections with tight switchbacks, roots and rocks.  I did not do a point-to-point tour, so what I liked is that I had a perfectly normal MTB for day trips and evening commutes once you setup camp and detach the trailer.

post-14749-0-60439700-1515140565_thumb.jpg

Toured with a trailer in 2010 and had a pleasant experience...  With the correct trailer you can easily ride gravel roads and most singletrack barring sections with tight switchbacks, roots and rocks.  I did not do a point-to-point tour, so what I liked is that I had a perfectly normal MTB for day trips and evening commutes once you setup camp and detach the trailer.

attachicon.gifsetup.JPG

Yes, point taken, there are some really good trailers available these days, at a price of course.

My point about off road was more aimed at situations in which you would actually have to get off and carry your bike (or lift it over a locked farm gate), in my view to really explore South Africa you need this as an option.

Toured with a trailer in 2010 and had a pleasant experience... With the correct trailer you can easily ride gravel roads and most singletrack barring sections with tight switchbacks, roots and rocks. I did not do a point-to-point tour, so what I liked is that I had a perfectly normal MTB for day trips and evening commutes once you setup camp and detach the trailer.

setup.JPG

I also think i will maybe start off with a trailer where can i get one in gauteng?

Archived