*A bike light for UNDER R1000!!

Speedi

thank you mark. from now on ill refer to adults on thehub as uncle and auntie so that they know i respect them!

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marius,

Articles appear to be outdated.

LED efficiency has passed HID almost a year ago already. They are still talking about 1watt and 3watt LED's, which doesn't mean anything anyway, but we know it's Luxeon I's...

The best LED's now, put out 100 lumens per watt.

So if I take a revelation-3 and drive 9 led's at 350ma, instead of 3 LED's at 1000mA, I will get 990 lumens from 12.2watt.

"both can be run at constant voltage (= constant efficiency) by using regulator circuits, but I don't know of any regulated lights. There are a few LED lights with regulators. "

They're talking about old type LED's. All these current LED's require regulators. And Constant current, not Constant voltage like the article said.

"This also means LEDs can have multiple brightness settings, and be equally efficient in all settings."

Latest High Power LED's we see in lights now are much more efficient at lower current. Say we take low beam as 100% for current and 100% Light output, then at 300% current (high beam) , You'll only see about 220% light output.

ZorgusPrime:

If you can measure the input and output voltage and current, you don't need a light meter. Because by referring to the datasheet you could quite accurately plot the lumen output... IF you are 100% sure of the bin the LED's came from.

You don't get Lipo's of up to 200w/KG yet... that one on the WIKI site is a sample being tested by NASA...it will be a while before your hobby shop have them... ;)

Remember, I've build a few lights and I've bought a few batteries. The best Lipo's readily available at the moment are all around 140 watt/h per kg... (Tested many different types before I settled with a supplier)

The statement was that you build a better performing light than my Revelation-1 at less the weight... Have you actually built it or is it on paper still?

I've learned that you can't go by theory with these instruments.  

Marius,

All Hid's I'vee seen appear to be very blue in comparison with the LED's I use now. Most HID's are 6000K to 8000K. 8000 is very blue already.

I get LED's from 2 color bin groups. The one is 5700K to 6350K ,

the other is 6350K to 7000K.

7000K is too cold for me... it's not blue yet, but icey white... I like the vanilla color of the 5700K to 6350K more.

Jo

thank you mark. from now on ill refer to adults on thehub as uncle and auntie so that they know i respect them!

I see you've got it. I guess that would make me Oom Mark, which I really hate. Wink

7000K is too cold for me... it's not blue yet' date=' but icey white... I like the vanilla color of the 5700K to 6350K more.

Jo

[/quote']

Can I get one in Mountain Blast or Berry Blaze?

Marius' date='

Articles appear to be outdated.

LED efficiency has passed HID almost a year ago already. They are still talking about 1watt and 3watt LED's, which doesn't mean anything anyway, but we know it's Luxeon I's...

[/quote']

Sweet, thx for the info, thats what I got from Google and was on top of the page, thought it would be up to date stuffsEmbarrassed - I'm looking for extra lights on my Handlebars, I'm running the HID on the Helmet and althou it's quite bright I want to totally blind be seen on the roads by uncoming traffic.Embarrassed
Marius2008-06-10 07:49:37

This is fun you guys crack me up been out of the office for about 4 hours and we have jumped about 7 pages. Interesting reading. BL they don't get it. We oom's & tannie's that own your lights get it that is why they are selling cause the guys that race with us on Thursdays see them and want them.

Bottom Line: At this stage of the game there is nothing out there to compare. You are the market leader. You do not have to carry on trying to justify yourself to a 15 year old.  By now your lights are selling via word of mouth and there is no better advertisement than that.

If you are in PE come to the night ride on Thursday 12/06/2008 at the Elliot centre 17h30 and see for yourself.

Should be about 10 of BL's lights there maybe more.

Twin, got my Rev 3 and love it. Early in the race when BL and I were leading, his Rev 4 and my Rev 3 were pretty much settle the bush alight! 

If you can measure the input and output voltage and current' date=' you don't need a light meter. Because by referring to the datasheet you could quite accurately plot the lumen output... IF you are 100% sure of the bin the LED's came from.

You don't get Lipo's of up to 200w/KG yet... that one on the WIKI site is a sample being tested by NASA...it will be a while before your hobby shop have them... ;)

Remember, I've build a few lights and I've bought a few batteries. The best Lipo's readily available at the moment are all around 140 watt/h per kg... (Tested many different types before I settled with a supplier)

The statement was that you build a better performing light than my Revelation-1 at less the weight... Have you actually built it or is it on paper still?

I've learned that you can't go by theory with these instruments.  

[/quote']

Today's homework for everyone: Take your cell phone battery and work out it's Power/Weight ratio !

Rating (mAh) x Voltage (V) / Weight (g) = Wh/kg, you may be surprised....

I'm going to re-hash what i was trying to say 20 pages ago:
If you are using similar technology (ie. not using a  Lithium Sulphur battery) you are going to HAVE to get similar results.

AZONIC REV 3 IS KING WILL NEVER RIDE ANOTHER LIGHT!!!!!!!

I wasn't even turning mine up to full brightness. I think my levels might be different to yours, I have 3 brightness levels. I just ride L2, its enough.

Azonic the bush that you guys did not light up in the front don't worry about it being at the back of the pack I took it upon my self not to miss anything so I set it alight didnt you notice. Probably not you going to fast cause you can see the whole of the valley with your Rev 3.