Trek Fuel Ex problems

Wade

I also ride road (for my sins), therefore when a noise starts I chase it incessantly......

On a MTB the greatest culprits are BB and pivots. I made the mistake of cleaning and greasing my pivots (different bike) and the noise would come back within a week or two.

Now I clean but do NOT grease, leaving the bearings to do the work and only get the noise every 8 weeks or so when it is time to clean the pivots again......

Others in order of priority....Where stem and bars meet, seatpost and then axle contact surfaces ie where quick release and hub/frame make contact.

Funnily enough I even got a noise out of my derailleur hanger assembly - clean and light grease....

Good Luck!

That's alot of pivot work like really , I give my pivots a good cleaning and light grease maybe twice a year and stay ontop of when new grease /new bearings are needed 

every two months sound like waaaaay too much , unless you like working on your bike for therapy 

I ride a Trigon with flex-stay triangle with mix of bearings and bushed pivots. I have replaced the bushes with something more robust and just like to keep things clean, thus 5000km/2 1/2 years and same bearings...and Yip, I love the therapy! :drool:

That's alot of pivot work like really , I give my pivots a good cleaning and light grease maybe twice a year and stay ontop of when new grease /new bearings are needed 

every two months sound like waaaaay too much , unless you like working on your bike for therapy 

Fuel Ex 9.8. It's the pivots that are dry. R400 labour and some grease should sort it. Although it sounds like it comes from the frame, vibration starts at the pivots and moves through the frame.