Managing exposure to air pollution while commuting by bicycle in Cape Town

ryanlenferna

I commute (by bicycle) a short distance in Bellville, but also drive (by car) a lot during the day to project sites.

Each time you go over Tygerberg koppie the air polution is VISIBLE !!  :wacko:  :thumbdown:

If I dont commute my sinusses clogg up and I have to take meds to clear it up.  As soon as I start commuting I get a post-nasal drip for a day or two, then my sinusses clears up.

Maybe my commute in Bellville misses the worst of the air polution on the lower areas ....  But commuting actually clears my air ways.

There is no denying that commuting by bicycle is a great way to stay healthy!! It has actually been proven that the health benefits of cycling to work outweigh the negative effects of air pollution...

However they are still present...and no effective solution taking into consideration the users needs is currently available on the market. Which is why I am trying to tend to the problem and find an effective solution.

Hi Ryan ! This sounds interesting. Please post updates and findings of your project/thesis on the forum !best of luck

Thank you and yes I will most certainly be posting updates as the design process goes on, to get feedback from you guys (The end user)