Looking for 26"/650C road tyres

Save me. One

Good day everyone,

I recently bought an extra small Hansom bike and I'm in the process of stripping it down and building it back up as a single speed. All the parts and frame seem to be in good order including paintwork.

My problem is though that the tyres need replacing and I've been having a hard time finding the right size. The only information that I can get so far are from the tyres itself. The one Tyre that I have shows the size "650C/19-571", rim band says "18-559" and on the rim it reads "571x15 - 6106".

Anybody able to help me out with a bit more information about the sizing as well as where I could possibly buy the tyres from? Sourcing them so far has been proving fruitless

I'll post pictures when I'm closer to finishing off.

The 571 on the tyre and rim refer to the bead seat diameter of the rim and the tyre must match this.

The 15 on the rim is the inner width of the rim in mm and limits the width of the tyre it can support. 

The 19 on the tyre is the width of the tyre in mm and can be substituted for any number that fits the frame. Sheldon Brown says that you can fit up to 32mm on a 15mm rim, but it is almost certain that such a big tyre wont fit an old Hansom frame

23c should fit (as you are running 19c) buy if you can get 25 or 28 in the frame, it would be even better.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gatorskin-road-wire-bead-tyre-1/

IF the frame can take  23mm tyre, the above is a good bet.

Ps, when you buy tyres, also buy lots of 650c tubes.

PPS. 650c is not the same as 26"

Edited by eddy

I was about to suggest that you phone Omnico and ask if they have any of their Kenda tyres in 650c/x (where x is the mm tyre width you want).

23mm is a good place to start and should fit the bike no worries. You might be able to get away with 25mm.

Post some images of the build so we can see the space between the front tyre and the brake calliper. 

Post some images of the build so we can see the space between the front tyre and the brake calliper. 

And also the rear where the seat tube and chain stays meet. Some of these older frames are tight.

Thanks so much Eddy and Simon for the advice so far, I have come across a few 650C x 23 tyres online, now atleast I'm armed with a bit more information. I'll post pictures as soon as I get home from work.

Thanks so much Eddy and Simon for the advice so far, I have come across a few 650C x 23 tyres online, now atleast I'm armed with a bit more information. I'll post pictures as soon as I get home from work.