Less Common & Even More Infuriating Creaks...

love2fly

I have recently learned 2 valuable lessons in the quest for a quiet bike (my very reputable LBS once told me a quiet MTB, as in like a roadbike is not possible - How wrong he was). 

Recently I had a persistent creak in the rear triangle of my dual suss mtb.

The creak persisted in spite of carefully rebuilding the rear end pivot by pivot.

The noise persisted, especially when pedalling but also when not pedalling and "bouncing" the suspension.

All the usual culprits didn't help, seat post, BB, including bearings, headset, saddle etc....

Turned out it was my derailleur (Sram Eagle 1 x 12) - needed some lube on the pivots and solved immediately.

Each time the suspension loads and unloads the derailleur has to provide and take up slack in the chain.

On my roadbike (Cannondaleale Supersix Evo Blac) with 10 S Shimano I also had to chase down an irritating BB creak as my left toes passed 11 o'clock on the downstroke.....Turned out I had stupidly been way overt ightening the cap on the non-drive side. Do as the manual says and make it basically hand tight.(0,7 to 1,5 NM)

Hope this helps someone one day....

Thank you, thank you and thank you again!!

You just solved a problem that has been annoying me for months. I also re-lubed the pivots, stripped the hub, tried a new cassette, even lubed the spoke nipples trying to get rid of this creak.

Now it's gone. In my case, it was a SRAM GX 11sp derailleur. Just needed a quick spray of DWF on the top pivot.

Thank you, thank you and thank you again!!

You just solved a problem that has been annoying me for months. I also re-lubed the pivots, stripped the hub, tried a new cassette, even lubed the spoke nipples trying to get rid of this creak.

Now it's gone. In my case, it was a SRAM GX 11sp derailleur. Just needed a quick spray of DWF on the top pivot.

Awesome!

I'm not sure if DWF has silicone as silicone attracts dust....I use some wet chain lube ie plain old oil....

Mate of mine had his almost new Pyga Stage fully stripped and rebuilt to have a creak/click remain.

Bike shop restriped and eventually found it was his KCNC cassette that was the cause.

The housing of the top Gold portion was moving against the lower sprocket housing.

Put the original Sram cassette back on and all sorted.

I've never experienced a cassette being an issue, but now I know it can be.

Agreed. Have had to clean and grease the cassette splines and freehub. It's also useful to clean and lube the pawls and toothed ring once or twice a year.

PS. I think my clutch has to work harder with my oval chainring.

Edited by love2fly