Garmin Vivoactive Battery vs Wahoo TickR and Cellphone App

PaulSmith

Afternoon all

Hope anyone could assist with a little advice to a reasonable newbie:

I currently use a Garmin Vivoactive as a general all purpose fitness device, however, have really started to enjoy and focus on MTBing.

With maximized settings, not using the LiveTrack function, I am able to get 7hrs on average out of my watch

My rides are increasing in length with the Group I have joined up with, and I am concerned that I'll hit the dreaded "Dead Battery" point in the next bit

My thoughts are:

Buy a Wahoo Tickr, and use the Wahoo App on an old Cellphone mounted in a Top Tube bag to do what the watch would do

My metrics I chase are speed, distance, HRM, Elevation

Then with time extend into a Element Device when finances allow me to (and my wife has had her say :eek: )

Is this a viable idea? Are there better APPs?

The VivoActive battery doesn’t last very long; also as the device ages, it obviously gets worse.

I have an Edge for cycling and only use the Vivo to broadcast HRM. So if you do use the Strava option as suggested, start broadcasting from the Vivo instead of starting an activity; then the battery last a looooonnnnng time :-)