GET YOUR 2022 PERMIT AND ENJOY NEW BOTTELARY HILLS MTB TRAILS

Christel@BHC

The Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy (BHRC) is celebrating 10 years of mountain with the addition of new single tracks and starting points and now offers a 120km trail network.

To ensure that the routes continue to offer exciting new mountain bike experiences to riders, R160 000 was invested in new trail developments this past year.  Trail-Blazers planned, designed and built the original trails and have played an integral part in trail maintenance and route developments over the past decade.  In addition, they make a significant investment in community development through the employment of local youths.  Not only have they generated 200 man days in the past six weeks, but also transferred valuable skills to the team.

The Jordan route has been extended and now features a lovely new 1.2km single track designed and built by Conrad Stoltz, former triathlon world champion. Riders can look forward to a flowy single track in natural terrain with unique granite dome rides that is suitable for all levels of riders.

On completion of his first project in collaboration with the Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy, Stoltz stated that views of the ocean, mountains and vineyards will take your breath away, (if the climb doesn’t). Additional single track sections were also completed by Trail-Blazers and the owners of Jordan. 

“Nature lovers will appreciate the Renosterveld with its abundant wildlife. An eagle soaring on the breeze, sharing the trail with duiker and, if you're lucky, you may spot the caracal and its cub stepping into the brush. The location and its people are fantastic and made this one of my favourite builds. Hopefully it brings pleasure to riders for many years to come,” concluded Stoltz.

The new single track section on Wolwedans Vineyards offers spectacular views, while the new single track from Fort Simon is ideal for those looking for a challenge and Bellevue will ease new riders into the trails.  Another super exciting addition, is the Polkadraai loop that starts and finishes at Somm & Co at Karibib.  A bonus offering for 2022 BHRC annual permit holders, is free access to the Polkadraai Bike Park set to open in the New Year.

Day permits (R70 payable with Zapper) are available from Asara Wine Estate, Bellevue Wine Estate, Devonvale Golf & Wine Estate, Fort Simon Wine Estate, Hazendal Wine Estate, Jordan Wine Estate, Neethlingshof Wine Estate, Zevenwacht Wine Estate, Somms & Co. Karibib, Engen Soneike, Shell Kruispad, Hellsend Bike Compound Stellenbosch, Dwars in die Weg security in Devon Valley, Devonbosch coffee kiosk and soon the Polkadraai Bike Park.  Annual permits available online www.bottelaryconservancy.co.za – also download Trailforks for an updated trail map and route profiles.

The Bottelary Hills MTB Trails were opened by the Bottelary Hills Conservancy in April 2011 and allow controlled access to the conservancy via dedicated routes. The rolling hillsides feature vineyards, farmland, conservation areas and trails comprise of farm roads, jeep tracks and numerous single tracks. While never too technical, there are challenging climbs and a variety of distances on offer for riders of all fitness levels.

The BHRC was founded to maintain, expand and sustain the large tracts of remaining Renosterveld in its area - less than 4% of the original Renosterveld in the Western Cape remains.  Funds generated through annual and day permits as well as events are used mainly to subsidize alien vegetation eradication. In addition, dedicated community programmes and projects address the socio-economic challenges of the people living and working on the farms within the BHRC.                                       

IMG-20211128-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20211128-WA0007.jpg

20210831_023535.jpg

Jordan MTB trail views.jpg

Ride4Renosterveld.jpg

Red route.jpg

Would be great if we could tie Bottelary Hills in with the Winelands Permit?
Would that we on the cards at any stage?

4 hours ago, Michael S said:

Would be great if we could tie Bottelary Hills in with the Winelands Permit?
Would that we on the cards at any stage?

personally I don't think that would be a good move: most of the people that I know that are members of the Botties Trails ride there on a daily basis, with the odd excursion out to Jonkies; to then pay R2000 plus for that would make no sense in my opinion. I wouldn't go for that, unless the option is to have a localised permit aside from the all inclusive permit. I would still only buy the localised permit as I am literally 5mins from the trails and I'm happy to pay the daily rate whenever I go to Dirtopia/Jonkies/wherever.

Edited by gemmerbal

19 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

personally I don't think that would be a good move: most of the people that I know that are members of the Botties Trails ride there on a daily basis, with the odd excursion out to Jonkies; to then pay R2000 plus for that would make no sense in my opinion. I wouldn't go for that, unless the option is to have a localised permit aside from the all inclusive permit. I would still only buy the localised permit as I am literally 5mins from the trails and I'm happy to pay the daily rate whenever I go to Dirtopia/Jonkies/wherever.

The permit does not replace any individual permits so you can still just do Bottelary alone if you want for the prices in the OP. 

Living in STB, Bottelary is the missing link for that regional board and would make me buy it instead of Jonkies annual plus day passes to Banhoek etc.