New SRAM XX SL Groupset - Reviews

Gael Duchenne

Has anyone used the new SRAM XX SL AXS groupset? Any reviews would be helpful as I am upgrading my existing  AXS XX1 Eagle Groupset... 

ridden mine once.

The thumb shifter is a much better design than the older version to use and position. loving that.

as for the shifting performance - on the limited ride i did round the cradle (50km) - it was perfect.

Can't say i really noticed any shift difference between the new and my old XX1 AXS system.

That magic wheel they talk about - not sure why but mine is clearly not magic. i assume this is omitted on the SL version to keep things as light as possible.

i want to do some more XC type riding to better assess the shift quality - ie short sharp steep power climbs and see how the shifting goes then under more load and when needing to dump gears quickly.

i've seen videos showing how much slower the new system shifts to ensure you never ever get a slip chain. not sure if this really has much impact as i cannot remember my older XX1 ever slipping.

for the moment - the benefits are not really felt to be honest.

they are more passive - ie knowing the RD can take a hit and still perform perfectly vs bending a hanger. massive plus this.

will be interesting to see what others think

1 hour ago, Furbz said:

ridden mine once.

The thumb shifter is a much better design than the older version to use and position. loving that.

as for the shifting performance - on the limited ride i did round the cradle (50km) - it was perfect.

Can't say i really noticed any shift difference between the new and my old XX1 AXS system.

That magic wheel they talk about - not sure why but mine is clearly not magic. i assume this is omitted on the SL version to keep things as light as possible.

i want to do some more XC type riding to better assess the shift quality - ie short sharp steep power climbs and see how the shifting goes then under more load and when needing to dump gears quickly.

i've seen videos showing how much slower the new system shifts to ensure you never ever get a slip chain. not sure if this really has much impact as i cannot remember my older XX1 ever slipping.

for the moment - the benefits are not really felt to be honest.

they are more passive - ie knowing the RD can take a hit and still perform perfectly vs bending a hanger. massive plus this.

will be interesting to see what others think

Thank you for the feedback