DSTV vs Streaming to watch cycling

Tri-till-you-die

Hi guys

Do I still need DSTV to watch cycling races if I have Wi-Fi ? I am trying to cut costs. 

Any feedback will be highly appreciated. 

Cheers

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use these for streaming all road races. I prefer cycling today as the quality is generally better. But if it isn't working tiz has usually has multiple streams of the same race.

https://tiz-cycling-live.io/live.php

https://cycling.today/live-streaming/

DSTV is garbage. Don't waste your money. Everything is free on the internet if you look and if it isn't there it doesn't exist.

This post comes at the perfect time. I've been wanting to cancel dstv but the only reason for keeping it is Supersport. Not keen on pirate sights so wondered what alternatives there are for cycling and rugby. Have netflix so movies and series sorted.

Feels like I'm throwing money away with dstv just just for supersport

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

GCN+ costs slightly less than one month’s DStv subscription. You’ll need a VPN for the big races, but so far this year I haven’t needed it. Better than trying to struggle with the TizCycling pirate stream.

+1 for GCN+

Renewed mine for another year last month. Best value ever. 

4 minutes ago, AJB76 said:

+1 for GCN+

Renewed mine for another year last month. Best value ever. 

How much does it equate to per month? Does it include MTB races too?

13 minutes ago, Tri-till-you-die said:

How much does it equate to per month? Does it include MTB races too?

It effectively costs me R112.50 per month, but I purchased an annual subscription (GCN+) and a 2 year subscription (VPN).

R750 - annual subscription (R62.50)
GCN+ I do see they have a monthly option which is more expensive.

R1200 - VPN connection for 2 years (R50 per month)
A VPN is required for certain races, eg. De Ronde, Paris Roubaix, The Tour. I have NordVPN. There are others, but this works for my specific requirements. 

image.png.973db2e53ce76e7b327079aee9446b47.png

When you say MTB, do you refer to XCO World Cup racing?
It's currently free on the Red Bull app, then moving to another company next year which I think could be on the GCN/Eurosport group.

18 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It effectively costs me R112.50 per month, but I purchased an annual subscription (GCN+) and a 2 year subscription (VPN).

R750 - annual subscription (R62.50)
GCN+ I do see they have a monthly option which is more expensive.

R1200 - VPN connection for 2 years (R50 per month)
A VPN is required for certain races, eg. De Ronde, Paris Roubaix, The Tour. I have NordVPN. There are others, but this works for my specific requirements. 

image.png.973db2e53ce76e7b327079aee9446b47.png

When you say MTB, do you refer to XCO World Cup racing?
It's currently free on the Red Bull app, then moving to another company next year which I think could be on the GCN/Eurosport group.

Yes XCO MTBing.

Great, thanks so much for the detailed breakdown! 

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread. With GCN gone, what do we do now?

I have  started looking into a Eurosport/ discovery plus subscription + use of VPN. The Discovery plus app is however not available to download on South African app stores.

interested to hear if any of you guys has a working solution, other than pirate streams and dstv.

18 minutes ago, Dominik Krob said:

Reviving this thread. With GCN gone, what do we do now?

I have  started looking into a Eurosport/ discovery plus subscription + use of VPN. The Discovery plus app is however not available to download on South African app stores.

interested to hear if any of you guys has a working solution, other than pirate streams and dstv.