9Point8 Fall Line Dropper

TheoG

Is there anyone with experience servicing these droppers?

Mine worked awesome for a while but now the brake is slipping.

I tried the "brake reset" procedure multiple times now without success.

It would be great if someone with experience can assist getting it in working order again.

Edited by TheoG

I've dealt with these things extensively, and you have 3 options:

1. Send it to me and I'll have a crack at it. It's usually oil contamination from a shock pump that causes this, and about 20% of the time cleaning out the brake assembly will get it working again. (20% was sadly not a typo.)

2. Source a new brake assembly from 9.8, then see step 1. There may be others closer to you who can do it, but I'm not sure who they are.

3. Bin it, get a Bikeyoke, Fox Transfer or Lyne Contour. Bikeyoke and Lyne for ease and economy of service, Transfer and Bikeyoke for bulletproof and no play, Lyne for range of sizes and wallet-friendliness.

15 hours ago, droo said:

I've dealt with these things extensively, and you have 3 options:

1. Send it to me and I'll have a crack at it. It's usually oil contamination from a shock pump that causes this, and about 20% of the time cleaning out the brake assembly will get it working again. (20% was sadly not a typo.)

2. Source a new brake assembly from 9.8, then see step 1. There may be others closer to you who can do it, but I'm not sure who they are.

3. Bin it, get a Bikeyoke, Fox Transfer or Lyne Contour. Bikeyoke and Lyne for ease and economy of service, Transfer and Bikeyoke for bulletproof and no play, Lyne for range of sizes and wallet-friendliness.

Thanks @droo

There is a local guy that will have a crack at it for me, if he dont succeed I will get back to you.

Its only 6 months old and I love the way it work (before this obviously).  I got a 100mm Specialized Command Post Ircc that I fitted back onto my bike until the 9.8 is fixed, The Spez is only 100mm travel.

I got used to the 200mm on the 9.8 very quickly .... 😊.

I somehow managed to forget about OneUp in my recommendations. Also well worth checking out.

It doesn't matter how old the Fall Line is, if there's oil in there it's most likely toast. The trick is to have a dedicated shock pump for your seatpost so there's no chance of oil contamination, but at last count that recommendation was buried so far in the fine print you'd never find it.

2 minutes ago, droo said:

I somehow managed to forget about OneUp in my recommendations. Also well worth checking out.

It doesn't matter how old the Fall Line is, if there's oil in there it's most likely toast. The trick is to have a dedicated shock pump for your seatpost so there's no chance of oil contamination, but at last count that recommendation was buried so far in the fine print you'd never find it.

Sadly I have only one shock pump and only pumped it once when I got it.  Hopefully it can be cleaned properly and be functional again.