Springs, Pawls, freebodies and bearings

Hi all,

I got brand new wheels in Dec 2022, they were a replacement set after the rear wheel smashed.

I went for the DarkHorse DH 50 CTR with ceramic bearings. 

I have since done just under 10 000km on the wheelset.

In Dec LY there was a strange noise that started, like a clonk occasionally. It wasn't regular so took a while to establish that it was coming from the rear wheel. In March, my LBS found that 2 of the 6 springs were broken, but couldn't get replacements as they are quite a lot smaller than those available. He replaced the bearings around this time too. He also distributed the springs evenly incase another fails while we try source replacements. 

Now my questions

1. Should ceramic bearings last longer than 10 000km? 
  2. How do the springs break? And surely they should last longer than 10 000km? In my 23 of cycling I have only had one freebody pack up and that was an old freebody. 

Was this just a bad hub and bad luck, or is this something that happens?

Thanks 

How long is a piece of string?

Most people I ride with have had rear hubs die one way or another (myself included), So I'd argue it is something that happens fairly regularly. 10 000km is not a negligible distance to put on a wheelset. How often do you service your hubs? I.e. pull apart, clean and regrease (not including Dec after hearing suspicious noises). If the answer is "never", then I'd say you got some good zero effort milage out of the hub and bearings. Sadly though, nothing in life is free and now the gods of cycling have come to collect.

Thanks @Rock Guy.

I'd be lying if I said every 6 months, but I do get the hubs serviced on all the bikes on a regular basis. 

I guess this was just a short piece of string hub/bearings/freebody/springs 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Nix Walker said:

Hi all,

I got brand new wheels in Dec 2022, they were a replacement set after the rear wheel smashed.

I went for the DarkHorse DH 50 CTR with ceramic bearings. 

I have since done just under 10 000km on the wheelset.

In Dec LY there was a strange noise that started, like a clonk occasionally. It wasn't regular so took a while to establish that it was coming from the rear wheel. In March, my LBS found that 2 of the 6 springs were broken, but couldn't get replacements as they are quite a lot smaller than those available. He replaced the bearings around this time too. He also distributed the springs evenly incase another fails while we try source replacements. 

Now my questions

1. Should ceramic bearings last longer than 10 000km? 
  2. How do the springs break? And surely they should last longer than 10 000km? In my 23 of cycling I have only had one freebody pack up and that was an old freebody. 

Was this just a bad hub and bad luck, or is this something that happens?

Thanks 

Those are Bitex hubs PM if you need help sourcing spare pawls or spring's. Cheers 

I’m under the impression that unless you are a pro with sponsorships for those kinds of things.. ceramic bearings, carbon fiber chain rings, or spokes, etc, are to be avoided like the plague.. unless you are well well off because the maintenance costs can be insane..

Edited by Bichael Dewing

9 minutes ago, Bichael Dewing said:

I’m under the impression that unless you are a pro with sponsorships for those kinds of things.. ceramic bearings, carbon fiber chain rings, or spokes, etc, are to be avoided like the plague.. unless you are well well off because the maintenance costs can be insane..

The costs aren't insane if you shop smart. However they are still not always the cheapest and most reliable options. Strong, Light and Cheap normally do not fall in the same sentence when it comes to bicycle products. 

2 minutes ago, warick_wrx said:

The costs aren't insane if you shop smart. However they are still not always the cheapest and most reliable options. Strong, Light and Cheap normally do not fall in the same sentence when it comes to bicycle products. 

Yeah so obviously theirs always many sides to the debate..🤣🤣 I’m on the side of “I’m an amateur cyclist, so they not worth the hassle”.. I’m not calculating my micro gains🤷🏼‍♂️🤣🤣