Converting free hub from HG to XD

Bub Marley

I currently have a set of carbon road wheels which have novatec hubs on. It currently has a Shimano HG freehub. I’m looking for some advice on how to convert this to an XD freehub. 

Are the XD free hubs brand specific or can I just buy any XD freehub and it’ll work? 

4 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I currently have a set of carbon road wheels which have novatec hubs on. It currently has a Shimano HG freehub. I’m looking for some advice on how to convert this to an XD freehub. 

Are the XD free hubs brand specific or can I just buy any XD freehub and it’ll work? 

They are brand specific. I guess some brands use matching internals, but best to check with your LBS.

Specific to the exact hub with Novatec, nevermind the brand.

What model of hub?

4 hours ago, droo said:

Specific to the exact hub with Novatec, nevermind the brand.

What model of hub?

I’ll have to check. They’re a few years old so most likely not available. Was hoping it would be like a standard size. 

Edited by Bub Marley

There are very few road xD cassettes on the market - any particular reason to switch to xD other than to use with a cassette you have already?

I'll be cheaper and easier to get another cassette that fits the existing freehub.