Use of Air tags to secure and locate bikes

2 hours ago, Steve Andrew Moss said:

Hi has any one experience with the use of Apple Airtags to help secure and locate their bikes?

They work great for flying and finding your bike bag at the airport/seeing if it arrived. Otherwise not so much. They make a sound when you move the bike and your phones not with you (at least my dads does) and notify your phone too (if you have an iPhone, but android has an app to check for them too). I took mine out and considered it a waste of time. 

never used them, but i have been looking at a samsung tag. was thinking i'd tape it into my steerer or seatpost depending on size.

if its for an MTB, check out the clever muc-off one that goes in your tyre

heres a super handy video to remove the speaker so its not a dead giveaway for crooks 

I have both the air tag and the Samsung tag (I have switched to samsung earlier this year, but my wife still uses iOS). The air tag makes a noise when it hasn't been in contact with its owner for abput 3 hours. It is an anti-stalking feature. I've kept my airtag on my keys ,but paired it with my wife's phone so that she can have a backup tracker if anything happens to me while I'm out cycling. After a long ride , my Samsung would let me know that there is an airtag following me around even before the airtag itself starts making noises. I personally prefer the Samsung tag since you can program the button on it to locate your phone or act as panic button. 

TLDR to answer OP's question, no, not anymore. If a criminal has an android phone like my Samsung it will pickup and locate the airtag before you can locate your bike.

Mine is not doing any of the above. Never heard any noice from it.

Also had to link it to my phone. It did not link by itself. My wife could also not see it on her phone, even when standing next to the bike.

Had to link het phone to the tag as well in order for her to see it.

I think it works great.