Shimano d2 shifters for tandem

Goodday we recently had our cannondale tandem stripped and resprayed and are now thinking of upgrading our current ultegra groupset to shimano 105 d2. It is a 10 speed  3 chainrings up front. Does anybody have experience with this or can recommend somebody to assist. Is it worth the money?

16 hours ago, cannie for life said:

Goodday we recently had our cannondale tandem stripped and resprayed and are now thinking of upgrading our current ultegra groupset to shimano 105 d2. It is a 10 speed  3 chainrings up front. Does anybody have experience with this or can recommend somebody to assist. Is it worth the money?

I put Di2 on my tandem about 6 years ago ... game changer .... but you cannot use the smallest blade if you have a triple on the front . But certainly we'll worth it .

4 minutes ago, Popit said:

I put Di2 on my tandem about 6 years ago ... game changer .... but you cannot use the smallest blade if you have a triple on the front . But certainly we'll worth it .

So did you only replace the derailers chainrings and shifters and keep it 10 speed. We rarely use granny gear if ever

15 minutes ago, cannie for life said:

So did you only replace the derailers chainrings and shifters and keep it 10 speed. We rarely use granny gear if ever

Ya , my Di is the old Dura Ace , has an external battery . Left the triple chainrings on , but obviously can't shift to the granny blade . Still 10 speed . Do it , best upgrade for a tandem . 

Isn't Shimano 105 Di2 disc only ? Not a problem if your tandem already has disc brakes.

And its also 2x12spd, so you will lose that 3rd ring on the crank.

It would be interesting to hear is the distance between the shifters and rear mech is a problem.